• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help 70 roadrunner rust.

Markzx14

Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
Hey everybody and thanks for any input. Well, im building a 70 roadrunner that is in pretty rough shape. I have the floors welded in and the quarters tacked in place. I'm at a point now that I have no idea how to fix it. The problem is my rear glass frame. It is rusted completely out in spots all the way around. Does anyone make replacements or is it going to have to be fabricated. I had a guy quote me a price to do the whole car but when it was time to go to the body shop he went radio silent. He wouldn't answer the phone or reply to text so I ended up doing it. I just hope what I've done so far is right. Again I appreciate any advice

Some of it is being repopped. Many pieces have to be custom made. I am in the same boat as you with my 70 Road Runner project. I have gathered alot of the sheet metal parts, doors, etc. Still have more to go.

20170311_163254.jpg 20170311_163316.jpg

I want to wish you both lots of luck on your projects! Happy to see guys saving these cars! RUFFCUT

Some of it is being repopped. Many pieces have to be custom made. I am in the same boat as you with my 70 Road Runner project. I have gathered alot of the sheet metal parts, doors, etc. Still have more to go.

View attachment 1058094 View attachment 1058095
20201204_172608.jpg
this is me working on my heap. I have all new floors,quarters, taillight panel. I also have really good fenders( I actually have 2 pairs). I only have the quarters tacked in place, I think they will have to come off since they go all the way into the rear glass frame. When I go out to my shop I'll take a pic of what my rear glass frame looks like. It is a dang nightmare, having an issue that just brings you to a complete halt
20201204_172608.jpg

I want to wish you both lots of luck on your projects! Happy to see guys saving these cars! RUFFCUT
Thanks for the well wishes. I had a 70 rr that my dad had bought new that I drove in high-school. Like a damn fool I sold it in 99 or 00 all because of some debt an ex gf put on my credit cards. I have kicked my own *** ever since. At least I have another one. I also have a 69 satellite that I should sell to fund some of my 70 build.

You can check the AMD website they make a lot of pieces for the rear window on 68-70. I'm collecting sheet metal for my 70 and I have been getting stuff from them

I bought from AMD this past year for my 68RR project! RUFFCUT

I have a 70 RR of my own that I am working on a long with another one for a friend. Depending where it is rust and how much there is, you will need either fabricate the pieces or buy a new Dutchman panel and package tray from AMD. You can fab new pieces if you have a shrinker and a stretcher but if it is all the way across then you will need new panels unless you really want to make them. Its just metal, it can be shaped, cut, welded, etc.

That rear piece is called the deutchman panel, and I believe it’s available from AMD

I used AMD dutchman panel on my 68 and it didn't fit worth ****! It had to be cut and welded after sectioning around the deck lid. So if you go that route, be prepared and make sure to support the window opening so as not to lose the original shape or glass will not fit. RUFFCUT

Thanks for all the replies. I have bought everything that's available through amd that pertains to the rear glass area of the car. I have the Dutchman panel and full quarters that include the corner of the glass to around half way up. What I need is the frame below the sheet metal. Up at the the top is completely eaten up. I guess I'll have to fabricate what I need but I'm not too eager to go cutting on something like that. I'm worried about getting it all squared up as the car came cut up as in the Dutchman panel is not welded in and the frame is not supported below the rear glass. I'm just concerned about getting the trunk to close and the door gaps right. I bought it sight unseen and was a little surprised at what the car needs. I should have asked the right questions before I bought it

I used AMD dutchman panel on my 68 and it didn't fit worth ****! It had to be cut and welded after sectioning around the deck lid. So if you go that route, be prepared and make sure to support the window opening so as not to lose the original shape or glass will not fit. RUFFCUT
This is what I'm encountering as well. The guy who had the car before me didn't brace the car up. I have no idea how to fix the mess I have

Hey everybody and thanks for any input. Well, im building a 70 roadrunner that is in pretty rough shape. I have the floors welded in and the quarters tacked in place. I'm at a point now that I have no idea how to fix it. The problem is my rear glass frame. It is rusted completely out in spots all the way around. Does anyone make replacements or is it going to have to be fabricated. I had a guy quote me a price to do the whole car but when it was time to go to the body shop he went radio silent. He wouldn't answer the phone or reply to text so I ended up doing it. I just hope what I've done so far is right. Again I appreciate any advice

Hi
I am considering a Hemi swap in my 70 bee
I have fully rebuilt 440 10:1 mild thumpr cam out of a 69 r/r dated May 69 and a 727 tranny 2300 stall and a Hemi converter. Both built by Mopar pros.

motor is in my bee but easy to take out. Never ran motor yet.

Hi
I am considering a Hemi swap in my 70 bee
I have fully rebuilt 440 10:1 mild thumpr cam out of a 69 r/r dated May 69 and a 727 tranny 2300 stall and a Hemi converter. Both built by Mopar pros.

motor is in my bee but easy to take out. Never ran motor yet.
I am building a turbocharged 451

Put all your sheetmetal together with screws before you weld anything. If any welds are necessary use small tack welds. I can fabricate anything you need and have a car to use as a template. I am also an AMD dealer and can drop ship if necessary. Best of luck

Auto Transport Service
Back