• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

**HELP ***I need help finding this relay for my 76 Cordoba

Here is the photo of that melted wire . It to this , I'm not sure what it is .

View attachment 1616013
That’s the Ign1 feed wires to the choke control, melted insulation would indicate a previous short to ground on that wire run, assuming the wires are not currently over-heating. Both wires showing melting means the short would have been somewhere else on the circuit downstream.

Last edited:
That looks better. Anything above 12.6v indicates charging to some degree. A dip below that indicates the alternator is not keeping up with the loads for a given engine RPM. Stock spec’d alts may not keep up with the A/C and lights at idle. What does the ammeter show in regards to charging vs discharging?

Last edited:
I wired up the relay like you said . I think it's good. I cant tell if it's charging , it seems to stay at 12.9v at idle . I drove several times it stays at 13.9 but I noticed when I turned on the headlights and AC the voltage goes down .

View attachment 1615910
Stock mopar alts are well known as a low capacity charge at idle. Sure your Car could get the revised squareback version alt ? Dunno, but if so, still with the increased the output capacity to 60 amps ( tipically the one equipped on them ) their output capacity at iddle could be still not enough depending on the accesories you use along with wiring/bulkhead conditions.

That looks better. Anything above 12.6v indicates charging to some degree. A dip below that indicates the alternator is not keeping up with the loads for a given engine RPM. Stock spec’d alts may not keep up with the A/C and lights at idle. What does the ammeter show in regards to charging vs discharging?
I'll check this weekend but for the most part the ammeter looks like it stays in the middle.

Stock mopar alts are well known as a low capacity charge at idle. Sure your Car could get the revised squareback version alt ? Dunno, but if so, still with the increased the output capacity to 60 amps ( tipically the one equipped on them ) their output capacity at iddle could be still not enough depending on the accesories you use along with wiring/bulkhead conditions.
So do you think it's worth changing the stock headlights for a LED set or even upgrading to a square back alternator ?I just spent $130 for a rebuilt alternator, I should have just went with an aftermarket .

That’s the Ign1 feed wires to the choke control, melted insulation would indicate a previous short to ground on that wire run, assuming the wires are not currently over-heating. Both wires showing melting means the short would have been somewhere else on the circuit downstream.
Could it be possible when my diodes in my alternator went bad that it could have melted those wires. I since then had my alternator rebuilt.

Could it be possible when my diodes in my alternator went bad that it could have melted those wires. I since then had my alternator rebuilt.
Ign1 is present at the alternator, one of the field wires (blue one) if that had been shorted it could explain the melted wires at the choke control. The rectifying diodes don’t have anything to do with the field side of the alternator however.

Your car already got a squareback alt from factory. What I’m not sure if the revised version or the older version. Not sure when the revised version entered into the game.

80 amps versions of the same revised squareback alt from 80s cars are available thought. They are able to source around 45 amps at iddle.

Clean contacts, plugs, terminals… that will help.

I’m not fan of led lights on old/classic cars.

I'll check this weekend but for the most part the ammeter looks like it stays in the middle.
Here is my ammeter , it pretty much stays in the middle. Also there is a volt meter .

20240302_124117.jpg

20240302_124128.jpg

Last edited:
Your car already got a squareback alt from factory. What I’m not sure if the revised version or the older version. Not sure when the revised version entered into the game.

80 amps versions of the same revised squareback alt from 80s cars are available thought. They are able to source around 45 amps at iddle.

Clean contacts, plugs, terminals… that will help.

I’m not fan of led lights on old/classic cars.

Here is a photo of my alternator. I'm not sure if this is the original but when I first got the car there was an alternator on the trunk that looked different than this one .

20240302_124640.jpg

20240302_124647.jpg

So if the ign1 feed wire is melted and there is a short would the car start and shut down at random ? I drove about a block and parked in a parking lot at idle and the engine shut off . I couldn't start it until it cooled down a bit.

Auto Transport Service
Back