• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me get my 1968 Coronet coupe into the 12's...

well atleast you got her to the track, sounds like the first thing you need to do is get some good meats under that thing and do some suspension work to get that thing launching/ hooking a little better. good luck, glad to hear you had fun and nothing broke!!

Yeah, the car will come around, especially with the help of everyone on this forum! I'm fairly confident it'll get to my goal of a 12.999 E.T. with a lot more tuning/practice.

I'll hold off putting the heads on at least until the chassis is set up quite a bit better.

I didn't have time to do anything, even hook up a tachometer. I rolled it out of storage, air the tires up to pressure loaded it and raced it for what I could.
Too bad the test and tune was calcelled, would have been nice to try some different timing adjustments launching strategies and air pressures. Oh yeah and with open headers so it could breathe.

Wished i would of known you were going to WIR,i am 45 minutes from there and would have came and watched.

Glad to hear you didn't break..I wish I could say the same...I ran a 10.91@118mph (1/4 mile) short shifting it at 6000rpm and shutting it down early (Hence the 118mph) and as I hit the return road I had coolant spraying out the overflow and my oil pressure was gone....I think my little pump gas iron head (906's) 440 may have spun a main bearing. This all happened on my very first run of the day.....bums me out because I think the car had a 10.50 in it yesterday...well that and the need for a new motor...Not sure I'm going to go back to the stock appearing motor again...might be time for some good aluminum heads and some more displacement....

Just glad it happened at the end of the season so I can work on it over the winter...

Would have been nice to meet more Mopar people!
Hopefully next year we'll get back there a few times.

Well hopefully you get things fixed up for the spring Lazermule!

Thanks man...I'll get it sorted out and back faster than ever. I may not be a street car anymore though...we'll see..

This past fall I purchased a 1974 Plymouth Duster 360 4-speed that was pretty much all original except it had a 1971 340 in it. The engine was already broke, so I pulled it out & set it in the garage and sent the car off to storage. Upon further inspection of the engine I noticed it had a Holley 4777-2 650 cfm double pumper carburetor. The more I thought about thing the more it made sense to try out one of those Holley 750 cfm HP main bodies on it and putting it on the 440 in the Coronet. The upsides of this main body are stunning good looks, slightly better flow capacity then a standard Holley 4779 750 cfm double pumper, and down-leg boosters instead of the original straight leg booster arrangement on the 650 cfm carb.
I'm hoping that there will be a performance gain when I swap it onto the car in place of the current Holley Street Avenger 770 cfm vacuum secondary carburetor.
I ordered the main body in dichromate finish to match the rest of my current carburetor. $137.35 shipped was the price for it brand new off eBay.
The main body retrofit kit includes non-stick metering block gaskets, non-stick fuel bowl gaskets, main body gasket, fuel bowl screw gaskets, and brass 72/84 jets. The accelerator pump discharge nozzles are both .031".
I'm hoping once properly set-up & tuned it'll make more power in the mid to top end power range without losing any low end and most importantly I can even get it properly set-up and fully tuned correctly.
The 1-11/16" throttle blades with a 750 cfm venturi size should also keep it ultra responsive at any throttle position / RPM for use on the street.

holley750cfmhpmainbodyi.jpg

Turns my current Holley 4777 650 cfm double pumper mechanical secondary carburetor with straight leg boosters:

holley4777c650cfmcarbur.jpg

Into this Holley 750 4150 HP carburetor with down leg boosters:

holley750cfm4150hpcarbu.jpg

I still need to pick up a power valve, primary & secondary accelerator pump kits, float, notched float, rear jet extensions, ...

Here is my carburetor after I test fit a few things and snapped a couple photographs.

project1k.jpg

project2g.jpg

p1020261l.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back