• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*HELP!* New Radio Smoking at dash!

Maybe you should think about bypassing the ammeter. Here's one post about it but you could search the site for more info.

[/URL]
when the car is on and running, do i want the ammeter meter more towards one direction or the other to make sure its charging? currently its pulling slightly more towards the "D" side, then when i shut off the car it goes more to the center. one of the few gauges that actually works

D is discharge and C is charge. At idle with a standard alternator, it will likely lean towards D which means your battery is discharging. As you increase RPM’s it should go to the C side and as your battery gets recharged, the needle should be trend towards the center

D is discharge and C is charge. At idle with a standard alternator, it will likely lean towards D which means your battery is discharging. As you increase RPM’s it should go to the C side and as your battery gets recharged, the needle should be trend towards the center
perfect, thanks!

typically how long should the car be on before the gauge on the ammeter moves into the charging side?

i turned the car on, let it get hot and took it around the block. it never went into the charging side, and stayed in the discharge side
when i gave it gas the gauge didnt move and the lights dimmed a little bit.
i opened the hood and saw the alternator spinning internally, but that doesnt mean it isnt roasted

how do i check if the alternator is fried?

the below shows where the gauge sat

car on and in idle
IMG_8033.jpg

car off headlights lights on

IMG_8035.jpg

car off

IMG_8034.jpg

Looks to me like your alternator is not doing anything. All your power is coming from the battery.

Agree with previous post. If your battery is not fully charged (like immediately after you use it to start the car) and your alternator is working properly, the gauge should react immediately when you increase RPM’s and the needle should move to the charge side until the battery is fully charged and then needle should stay in the center (assuming RPM’s remain high enough - slightly above idle is usually enough). Looks like your alternator is not working correctly.

Looks to me like your alternator is not doing anything. All your power is coming from the battery.
Yea I think the same.
But then I took it around the block again today after letting it warm up and the gauge stayed in the middle the whole time

Yea I think the same.
But then I took it around the block again today after letting it warm up and the gauge stayed in the middle the whole time
Thoroughly check all your wire connections including the crimps. Also all the ground wires, they are just as important as the ones carrying power.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back