• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help pleasebig block ac compressor elimination

midnightrider1818

Local time
11:04 PM
Reaction score
i eliminated my ac compressor but now im having problems with belt routing. ive done some studying and found that non ac cars have the deep water pump pulley. the belt goes around the crank, alt and water pump. the belt that runs the ps just goes around the ps pump and crank. right. now to the part i was wondering about. the crank still has the original ac compressor pulley on it. and right now im running the water pump powersteering pump off the last groove on my crank. if i get the deep water pump pulley what groove will i run off of on the crank. i want to make sure i can still keep the ps pump on the last groove which is what it is lined up with. also if anybody has any pics i sure would appreciate it. thanks guys

You need to change yor pulleys to the correct non ac pulleysOr you will be throwng belts.

I gave Dodger3000 my 2 cents with my sb setup. I don't know about the BB setup except that my 69 Charger was non ac and I could measure the pulley if you need specs. You would have to come up with a pulley though. I would think that you could also run a belt under the water pump shaft from alt to crank. You have a two groove crank pulley right? Inner one to alt, the outer to water pump pulley-ps. Another thing, you may need a non ac alt mounting kit to align things. Read my mentioned post and see if it helps any. Good luck!

Changing your water pump pulley won't change the position of the power steering pump (read pulley) or your crank pulley. So theoretically, assuming that your new (deep) water pump pulley lines up with your alternator (which is already aligned with the crank) you shouldn't have any issues.

well i havent got my new deep wp pulley yet. i was wondering if it would work. im still running the pulley off my crank 4 groove i believe. stock ac pulley. the very last groove towards the front of the car im running my ps pump,water pump. i was reading and the non ac cars ran the water pump and alt not the ps pump off that pulley. it was its own belt around the pump and crank. makes sense since the ps pump is alot firmer then the alternator. i was wondering if i bought the new water pump pulley the deeper one is if it will line up with any of the other grooves rather then the last one. that away i dont have to change brackets on my ps pump and i can always make spacers and stuff for my alt to get it aligned

also to 70 bee i was running the alt belt under the water pump shaft. just around the alt and crank but the damn thing i couldnt keep tight. the damn housing is made of aluminum and i keep stripping the damn adjusting bolt. my ps pump is alot firmer then that so if i could get my alt pump and crank aligned i could run a single belt around the ps pump and crank and i think i wouldnt have any problems

also it be nice if they made a two groove water pump pulley that alignes with alt and ps pump. that away i can run both belts over the water pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back