• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help taking off oil cap

I had to cut in half the one that was on my 30 year dormant roadrunner valve cover.

I wonder if (?)
someone did something stupid like glue/epoxy it on
to keep it on or not drip or some other stupid ****
filling it thru a different hole (?)

I have had some stuck before that the grommet comes out of the rocker cover with the breather. I just remove it from the breather, reinstall the grommet back into the cover, then push the breather back into the grommet.

Probably not a good sign if it is stuck that bad, lol. Must have been a long time since the oil was changed?

I just got it and am gonna give it one tomorrow what oil weight should I use I just got the car I plan on giving it an oil change asap

I just got it and am gonna give it one tomorrow what oil weight should I use I just got the car I plan on giving it an oil change asap
Summertime in central cali. Ide use 10/40 anything ( besides pennzoil and quaker state) conventional. I would stay away from full synthetic with 50+ year old seals. Motorcraft part # Fl1A filters are half the price of mopar at walmart and just as good.

All else fails, a pipe wrench will get 'er done. :)

I use 10w-30 on all my motors. Plenty of oil pressure, but all mine have been rebuilt not that long ago. On an older motor, 10w-40 would work as well. Make sure you use something that has enough zinc in it. Valvoline VR1 or Brad Penn are a couple of good ones.

I was planning on using 10w 50 as previous owner had in it, but I will use valvoline vr1, I haven't even looked under the motor for the filter, are they pretty accessible? And easy to get at autozones or Walmart? And which one is recommended for my car ? 1964 chrysler newport 361 v8 5.9L and what's the oil capacity I'm going to do it today upon further inspection of my oil.

I was planning on using 10w 50 as previous owner had in it, but I will use valvoline vr1, I haven't even looked under the motor for the filter, are they pretty accessible? And easy to get at autozones or Walmart? And which one is recommended for my car ? 1964 chrysler newport 361 v8 5.9L and what's the oil capacity I'm going to do it today upon further inspection of my oil.
5 quarts
Filter is easy to find/get to, and you can get them at any parts store or walmart.
I use conventional chevron 10-30/40 on all my old cars and change the oil at least every 2500 miles. More important that you you keep up on and change your oil than buying expensive stuff. Especially if your car burns or leaks oil. If youre worried about zinc just keep a bottle af additive handy.

I recommend 5 qts of 10W40. I have used that weight oil in my Mopars for 40 years. Stay away from the Fram filters at Wal Mart. They are junk since Fram was sourced to China. As others have said, the Motorcraft FL 1A will work. Or a Wix, or Napa, etc at the parts store. There are two filters for the Mopars, short or long type. The 64s originally would have the long type. (Like the FL 1A Motorcraft or the 51515 Wix brand)

Thats a 710 cap (it says so right on the top), very tricky to remove.

Here’s what the back side looks like to help with your removal strategy.

5D41E1E5-8EC6-4819-8D26-6520690351DA.jpeg

I recommend 5 qts of 10W40. I have used that weight oil in my Mopars for 40 years. Stay away from the Fram filters at Wal Mart. They are junk since Fram was sourced to China. As others have said, the Motorcraft FL 1A will work. Or a Wix, or Napa, etc at the parts store. There are two filters for the Mopars, short or long type. The 64s originally would have the long type. (Like the FL 1A Motorcraft or the 51515 Wix brand)
Get an extra quart or two and carry in the trunk. You may not know the car enough yet and may do a road trip only to find low oil mark on the dip stick before you get home.

I do and I drove it some today now I realized a small radiator leak
I was going to also say , carry two gallons of 50/50 mix of Antifreeze. But I think you will do that now also.
My trunk is full of assorted ''things'' I may need to help me to keep moving down the road.

Auto Transport Service
Back