• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with 318 headers choice / power steering in the way

Airwolf222b

Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I need to replace my headers on the 318, 1973 Road Runner. I bought a set but the power steering is in the way. Anybody out there have any suggestions on what might fit? Thanks in advance!

Nick

I purchased the blackheart Hooker headers (Hooker Comp Headers 5901-3HKR) for my 1967 Coronet also with 318. They fit/sound great and had no issues with the power steering components. A bonus that I also just found out is that I can completely remove the mini starter without having to remove the header.

I know Hooker "Super Comps" work great on SB cars.

They are just as pricey as TTI though.

Dougs is another one but also about the same cost.

I purchased the blackheart Hooker headers (Hooker Comp Headers 5901-3HKR) for my 1967 Coronet also with 318. They fit/sound great and had no issues with the power steering components. A bonus that I also just found out is that I can completely remove the mini starter without having to remove the header.
I tried to find these. looks like they dont make them anymore? But I did find the Hooker Competition Headers on Summits site. Model 5901-1HKR. I wonder if theres much difference? They also have a pair of Patriot Headers, H8206-B that seems like they should fit my setup. Are patriots any good?

I tried to find these. looks like they dont make them anymore? But I did find the Hooker Competition Headers on Summits site. Model 5901-1HKR. I wonder if theres much difference? They also have a pair of Patriot Headers, H8206-B that seems like they should fit my setup. Are patriots any good?
Only difference is the finish. Mine are powder coated black and these are ceramic coated.

I have hedman ceramic on my 73 ssp.

IMG_0692.jpeg

IMG_0691.jpeg

I'm suprised no one has mentioned or cautioned about header port and 318 port mismatch.
1973 was the last year for the small port flange, before they went to the air-port 318-360 port flange.
Most headers have the 340-360 port and can leak on the small 318 port.
As far as fit, TTI is worth the money.

Last edited:
I'm suprised no one has mentioned or cautioned about header port and 318 port mismatch.
1973 was the last year for the small port flange, before they went to the air-port 318-360 port flange.
Most haders have the 340-360 port and can leak on the small 318 port.
As far as fit, TTI is worth the money.
Did quite a few SB header installs back in the day, don't recall any such problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back