• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with identifying what the engine stamps mean

Bdub

Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
Fixed typo on my casting number*
Hello I am about to start working on my 1969 Coronet. It is originally a 318 car and I have picked up a 440 engine and Trans I plan to swap into it. I am just trying to get all applicable information I can on the motor I am putting in. I found the 2536430-6 to be 440 just above is 9.14.71 which I'd believe is the date as I was told the engine came out of a 72 originally so that checks out. What I can't find is anything about the numbers just above the pan on the left side which appear to be 2C270740 or anything on the weird DPCD stamped on the front of the block. It was pulled out as a complete motor so if I need to tear it down a little if I am still missing numbers I will have to do that. Checked for everything visible as is dont know if im still missing anything. Thank you in advance
1000003105.jpg
1000003104.jpg
1000003101.jpg

1000003102.jpg

Last edited:
DPCD was Dodge Chrysler Plymouth Desoto but Desoto disappeared in early 60's so while they kept it, it may have became Dodge Chrysler Plymouth Division...

Thank you for the quick responses. Trying to make a notebook with all the info I can find on everything to keep together for references on the car and was hitting a wall using keywords on searches.

The numbers after the 2C are the VIN number of the car it came out of.
There should be some numbers and letters on a pad at the top right front of the engine. Like G440 and below that a build date.

C Plant (Jefferson) in the VIN means it came out of a Chrysler or Imperial.

Look at the block pad in front of where the valley pan bolts on.

The numbers after the 2C are the VIN number of the car it came out of.
There should be some numbers and letters on a pad at the top right front of the engine. Like G440 and below that a build date.
I thought that was the location the DPCD logo was stamped (right side of the front engine just below where the head bolts on) . I may need to remove something if I am still missing those numbers. As far as I could find everything visible I posted. I spent a good hour looking to try to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thank you tho, I will see what I can find when I can dig in a little further this weekend

I found the other stamp it is just extremely faded. From what I can make out it looks like H440 and then below a 23 on the left side and a 2 on the right. Thank you all again for the help
1000003118.jpg

H 440 is a 72 440. If you clean carefully to the left of the 23 you might find another number which will give the build date of X 23. X being the month. The 2 means it was built on the second shift.

Auto Transport Service
Back