• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Build Advice

Darrah

Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
I've been sitting on a 528 hemi for a few years now (part of a previous project), and it's time to start prepping it for install. The engine was built in 2003 by Hensley Racing, but never installed, fired, etc. It has been sealed and stored in climate control, and I recently cracked it open and everything looks pristine. Obviously valve springs should be replaced, but is there anything I should change 20 years later (possibly better cam profiles now?).

Basic build:
Hemi MPP block
Manley 6.86 rods
MP Aluminum heads
Callies 4.500 crank
Ross pistons
Comp Cams CRH 4877B / 4878B street roller cam
-Gross lift .617/.606
-Duration at .050 260/266
-110 lobe separation

Here's a link to the full build documentation (minus cam card, balancing sheet, piston spec sheet, etc) that outlines what was done and the installed measurements:

It'll be in a '71 RR, 100% street car, manual trans, 3.55:1 or 3.73:1 rear ratio.

So, any advice? Thanks in advance for any recommendations... I've built a ton of B/RB motors, but this is the first hemi.

And of course, gotta have a picture
uc?export=view&id=1lWs18srmYiJUoGkmUF6uIR_zlHIr1rOY.jpg

If the springs were new and never run they shouldn’t need replacing.. super high heat, rust, and impact damage are the only things that should wear/damage a spring.

If it was pro built and never run, prime it, verify oil flow to the rockers, and fire it?

Maybe take it apart and re lube the cam if it were hydraulic flat tappet but it’s a roller so….. go for it

Last edited:
It doesn't need anything. Prime the pump and fire it up.

I'd say "prime it and fire it" too...but since it's out in the open, myself I would double-check the valve lash, and that the rocker shaft hold downs, head studs, and rocker adjusters are tight...
I'd go at least 4 full turns of the crankshaft while running the priming tool.
Not much else you can do except maybe a squirt of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders.

Glad I asked… I would’ve wasted money on springs as a preventative measure.

I was planning on priming it and rolling it over to make sure oil gets to both heads.

Any opinion on what type of intermediate shaft to use for the distributor drive? It had a bronze gear but my son accidentally dropped it. I’ve heard various opinions on what type to use with a roller cam.

I've certainly heard folks just firing up. With no additional lube. Especially if already with its assembly lube? Its still there. It didn't go anywhere. If she turns fine? It should run fine. If carb is new no fuel sitting there?

Glad I asked… I would’ve wasted money on springs as a preventative measure.

I was planning on priming it and rolling it over to make sure oil gets to both heads.

Any opinion on what type of intermediate shaft to use for the distributor drive? It had a bronze gear but my son accidentally dropped it. I’ve heard various opinions on what type to use with a roller cam.

Bronze has a tendency to wear quickly. I believe Crane Makes a melondized gear that is built for steel roller cam applications…

I'd say "prime it and fire it" too...but since it's out in the open, myself I would double-check the valve lash, and that the rocker shaft hold downs, head studs, and rocker adjusters are tight...
I'd go at least 4 full turns of the crankshaft while running the priming tool.
Not much else you can do except maybe a squirt of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders.

Marvel Mystery oil, that stuff is awesome. That recommendation took me way back.....

If it was sitting for the last 18 years with the Valves adjusted and NOT backed off....and NOT being turned over/rotated over that 18 years ?
I would be at least be checking the V/Spring pressures.....
because,
undoubtedly one or more V/Springs were sitting fully compressed for that 18 years ?
and,
all it takes is one V/Spring to be "not up to snuff'...... and you could experience a serious problem with a Mechanical Roller Cam

Auto Transport Service
Back