• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Exhaus, Muffers blew up! I don't know what happened.

68 Chris

Reaction score
I have a 440 with a 750 edelbrock sitting on top. Cam is a 434 purple cam. no roller rockers. Heads were rebuilt, bored 30 over. Anyways. I was starting the car up. It hasn't been fun getting it started this year. Anyways, I put new plugs in and it fired right up. Then I started it again. Fired up and ran well. I gave it maybe too much gas and I'm thinking the gas went down into the mufflers. SONIC BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! has this happened to anyone else? The Mufflers opened up like a can a tuna. They were expanded on both ends. It was so loud my ears were ringing ten minutes later. I'm just searching for what may have caused this. I don't want to do this again.:confused3:

Thanks guys,

Chris

used to be an old rodders trick to have an ignition cut off while you are driving with wot.fills the exhaust with fuel vapor and causes a gun shot effect when restarted.it can blow the exhaust right off the car in some cases.so you are some how putting raw fuel into your exhaust system.

yep , had a buddy with a 440 6 pack that blew his completely apart from raw fuel that ignited down in the pipes

We used to ride down the road, cut the ignition off pump the hell outta the gas and turn the switch back on. The mufflers were usually layin in the road behind the car.

We used to ride down the road, cut the ignition off pump the hell outta the gas and turn the switch back on. The mufflers were usually layin in the road behind the car.

lol there was a dude up the street that had an old ford courier with an open pipe that would drive by , throw it neutral, cut the ignition, pump the **** out of , turn the key back on, pop the clutch and had people ducking thinking a bomb went off

Thanks guys, At least I know what it is now. I'll use Ether next time when she doesn't want to start rather than pumping too much gas to prime it.

Thanks guys, At least I know what it is now. I'll use Ether next time when she doesn't want to start rather than pumping too much gas to prime it.

if its not kicking over almost immediately , I would venture to say that something is amiss, whether it be timing/ignition or fuel/choke related.

OMG! We did go to the same school!! We used to call them key pops. Back in the 80's I had a job driving used cars that didn't sell down to auction and we of course had to see which one was top dog. These were not exactly the cream of the crop but a few key pops here and there and some WOT acceleration trials never hurt anything. We never lost a muffler but got some loud booms. Maybe we didn't do it right.

Yes, loading up the exhaust with fuel vapor will produce a loud boom and can destroy a muffler. My old 72 Porsche 911 with mechanical fuel injection would do that all by itself on deceleration. Quite embarrassing driving a nicely restored early 911 and suddenly having this BOOM followed by a plume of black smoke. Even the FSM said occasional popping on decel was normal. I finally fixed the problem. I sold it and bought my green Bel, a 71 Ranchero and more MoPar parts.

Naw yall did it right. We probably shouldda used more than clamps to hold on our glass packs. lol

LOL my buddy had an 89 Dakota that if you held it to the floor on acceleration would load up a bit and pop when you let off the gas...we used to run down a backroad floor it as long as we could and see how loud we could get it to pop. One day it blew the muffler apart....

I guess children never change ahahaha

Had that happen to me on my GTX. I had an unexplained ignition cut out. You'd be driving down the road and all of a sudden the engine would just cut out. Being a 4 spd, the engine just pumped raw fuel into the exhaust. Then the ignition would just turn back on. With a big boom. The last one really did it. Driving down the road at about 50 it happened, HUGH boom, looked in my mirror to see a huge cloud of smoke and the car behind me who was following closely was on the other side of the road. Must have been quite a view from the back LOL. Both mufflers had been expanded like sausages. From the back, you could see right through each muffler to the front. Finally fond the problem.

Had that happen to me on my GTX. I had an unexplained ignition cut out. You'd be driving down the road and all of a sudden the engine would just cut out. Being a 4 spd, the engine just pumped raw fuel into the exhaust. Then the ignition would just turn back on. With a big boom. The last one really did it. Driving down the road at about 50 it happened, HUGH boom, looked in my mirror to see a huge cloud of smoke and the car behind me who was following closely was on the other side of the road. Must have been quite a view from the back LOL. Both mufflers had been expanded like sausages. From the back, you could see right through each muffler to the front. Finally fond the problem.

OK, Your stories are cracking me up! Especially this last story about the GTX. After hearing how loud that can be I could only imagine how scared you made the car behind you when those mufflers blew up. Black smoke! OMG! Im having this mental picture that is making my side hurt. I did it at my apt in the garage. And people always see me working on my car in the garage so they know I'm always out there late at night with the radio going. When it's not freezing out. Anyways. I was just about to take my girlfriend for a ride who has never been in this car before and she is standing outside ready for me to back out. I Over gassed it and the mufflers exploded, I get out of the car because I want to asses the damages and I look in the parking lot and my girlfriend is standing about 50 feet away with her hands over her ears. I was worried if she's OK, because she's a musician and her ears are very important. She was freaked out! I looked around and everyone in the apartment complex was standing out in the parking lot. When I think back it makes me laugh so hard! but everyone saw it was me and went back in their apartment.:headbang: I'm not joking this sounded like a bomb went off.

Haha I had a problem for a bit with my 93 Dakota where at high rpm (passing) it would lose the ignition and then when the rpm dropped it would come back and BOOM. First time it happened I was directly next to a car with the exhaust while passing and then BOOM...I bet some poo came out.

Turned out my crank position sensor had a cracked mounting flange and moved around at high rpm and would lose the crank signal.

I ordered a electronic choke to help the car start easier. I never put on the Manuel choke last year. I hope this solves the issue in the colder weather. Loved the stories guys! Thanks for helping me laugh about it. I was really pissed when they exploded.

"Hee...haw...Paw..."
I think we just blew up them thar chickens as we drove by!

Way too cool...

- - - Updated - - -

Someone could land in jail if they did this today....
Imagine driving by an "Occupy demonstration" and pulling this stunt!
OMG, I love it!

I have never had the mufflers explode, but one in once of my old worked 318 smallblocks, I was really wedged into my apartment parking space, by the neighbors friends cars (all illegally parked in our tenants parking spots), so I was having to reverse, go forward and generally shunt the car back and forth to get it out.

Unburnt fuel must have built up in the 600 Holley, and suddenly behind the car lit up like daylight (it was night time)..A flame burned out of the single 3" exhaust I had on that car, and it went about 10 feet! My girlfriend was standing behind on our front doorstep and she said she could feel the heat from where she stood! :)

That's pretty awesome! Another great story has come out of this thread. I received two new mufflers and I have blown those out too. I blew the passenger muffler the day after I put it on. A small backfire popped it out of it's seam. Then two months later. the driver side goes after a backfire on the side of the road. My throttle return spring popped off and the throttle was wide open dumping fuel. Well after I put the throttle return spring back on, turned it over, it backfired and that was it. I just looked at it last night on the lift and the driver side was vibrating like crazy. So luckily I have the company sending me new ones at no charge because they aren't even 3 months old. I was starting to wonder if these mufflers could withstand any abuse. I mean I have had cars that backfired before but none with 10:1 compression. I hope this is this is the last time this happens.

I have never had the mufflers explode, but one in once of my old worked 318 smallblocks, I was really wedged into my apartment parking space, by the neighbors friends cars (all illegally parked in our tenants parking spots), so I was having to reverse, go forward and generally shunt the car back and forth to get it out.

Unburnt fuel must have built up in the 600 Holley, and suddenly behind the car lit up like daylight (it was night time)..A flame burned out of the single 3" exhaust I had on that car, and it went about 10 feet! My girlfriend was standing behind on our front doorstep and she said she could feel the heat from where she stood! :)

LOL, one of the most entertaining threads I have read on FBBO... :laughing6:

I would of loved to see that flame out of TekHouse's car!

Back