• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Head Bolts - Gen 3

chtampa

Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
I am replacing the heads and head bolts on a spare Gen3 5.7. What is the procedure for head bolt installation? Wet? Dry? Sealant? Torquing?

What bolt manufacturer and what year?? Torque will depend on manufacturer due to the bolt type and material.

OEM/Felpro: oil and will need to be installed with a torque and an angle.

ARP: ARP assembly lube on threads and under head. Also, just a fyi tip, if washers are included, scuff one side with sandpaper and this is the side that will go to the head WITHOUT any lube. Only lube under the head of the bolt and the threads. Lubing between the washer and head will allow it to spin also and it WILL affect the torque. If the studs or bolts do not have washers, lube normally (threads and under head).

OEM from dealer: M12 BOLTS=25,40 FT/LBS, +90º, M8 BOLTS=15, 25 FT/LBS
Fel-Pro ES72200: Follow OEM unless they supply instructions in box. You will need 2 boxes

If OEM or Fel-Pro bolts have a dried locking material red/white/ or whatever color, do not use oil, just under the head shoulder. If bolts have no thread locker, then use oil on head shoulder and threads.

Just know that if you remove a head after you torque them, even if you have not fired the motor, you WILL HAVE TO replace the bolts again.

Intake Manifold 105 INCH/LBS FROM MIDDLE BOLTS TOWARDS THE OUTSIDE IN A CRISSCROSS PATTERN
Exhaust Manifold 220 INCH/LBS
ROCKER ARM BOLTS 195 INCH/LBS

es322%20Head%20bolt%20tightening%20sequence.gif

Thanks, I have zero intention of removing them again.

I have the heads installed and there is still some left to right movement on some of the rockers. I see that 6.1 push rods are a bit longer and could correct that. I know little accurate specs on the motor but at last run-up of the motor the rockers were hitting up against the pedestals and clattering. Is it possible that someone put a 6.1 cam in it and 5.7 push rods and that is creating the noise?

Auto Transport Service
Back