• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hemi oil pump

Your machinist MAY be trying to say that the long stroke crank will interfere with the stock 1/2"pipe internal pickup, and that you will need an aftermarket external pickup and pump to go with it.
If that is the case, his communication skills are lacking or yours are.

Well i guess there are a bunch of smart *** people on this forum looking for good advise just want to put together a hemi stroker the right way thanks for nothing. Is there anybody that can give good polite advise or are the smart ones the jealous ones.
bull **** thanks for nothing
I have to say you are the one with the problem. Its obvious you are not mechanically inclined. That's not a bad thing. For what you want to do you should leave it in the hands of someone that can build this. Have them itemize your build and then read about every item to understand what its fitment, use, and function is.

Well i guess there are a bunch of smart *** people on this forum looking for good advise just want to put together a hemi stroker the right way thanks for nothing. Is there anybody that can give good polite advise or are the smart ones the jealous ones.
This made me laugh. Thank you.

You don’t know what you are doing, and you’re seeking motor 101 advice for your stroker hemi from Joe Q. public on the internet. This is silly.

Just give Barton or Tim a call, send either of them your stuff, write a check and wait for it to arrive. Easy peasy.

Curious, what are we jealous about?

reread my post , been there done that...
if going over a 4.250 stroke you will encounter stock oil pick up problems , like posted above

that is exactly what i am trying to do gather all parts and let someone assemble
one piece at a time due to $$$$$

Okay. I understand. But your plan is very flawed, and I believe it will be an epic fail.

With your level experience, here are the likely outcomes:
If you buy a bunch of parts based on internet recommendations and take them to a quality & reputable 2G hemi shop, one of three things will happen. 1) They will not take your business, 2) They will take your business, but give no warranty, 3) Won't use half of your parts for one of several reasons.

Alternatively, you go to an okay, value shop. They put your stuff together. There will be no warranty. There will be problems, you will be stuck with no place to go.

I promise you, with your level of experience, the value path will cost more, will cause you tremendous consternation, and your schedule will be turned upside down. Not only will you be pissed at your machine shop, you'll be pissed at individuals here because you'll think we gave you bad advice. But in reality, you will have miss used or misunderstood the advice, or the advice was simply wrong because you did not explain the situation accurately.

Save up your money and go to a hemi expert.

Mancine are the people to call. They have stroker kits and can point you in the right direction. Now I had my 383 rebuilt from bottom up between me and my machine shop guy it got done. It is getting harder to find good machine shop's if you do, they are really covered up with other projects. Now that being said don't appreciate your attitude. The folks here have been a great help over the years. Think they all are a good group. I appreciate them and if I don't like what anyone says them just keep it too yourself. Like the older guys said at work keep your mouth shut and eyes and ears open then you will learn something. :drinks:

Nobody that is giving you sage advice is jealous of anything you're planning to do. As BSB said, they're all just trying to make sure that you're not here crying the blues in 2 years time.

hello gang
need some help
machine shop is saying i need to look into a hemi oil pump verse a big block mopar pump. he is saying due to heads being so big a hemi pump is required any advise is grateful
street machine
hemi mega block 4.5 bore
thanks
A Melliing high volume oil pump for any big block works just fine in my car but its only 476 hp and I dont drag race it very often

i was wondering if the machinist could have been thinking of external oiling being needed for the long stroke crank?

ok / new build from scratch / need to purchase all new so is there a special oil pump for a hemi or is a big block pump high pressure ok like would a 440 pump bolt up?
what is the difference between a high pressure and a high volume thanks to all
hi volume pump ...
the gen. 2 hemi`s have way, way better oil drain back than a wedge , dont worry about the heads holding oil , altho you can shamfer the drain back holes in the corner of the heads if you want .
Has he any hemi experiance / Doesnt sound like it...

hi volume pump ...
the gen. 2 hemi`s have way, way better oil drain back than a wedge , dont worry about the heads holding oil , altho you can shamfer the drain back holes in the corner of the heads if you want .
Has he any hemi experiance / Doesnt sound like it...
You can grind at the bottom valve cover studs, don't get to happy with the grinder. NOT into head the bump for the stud.

Shop does not know what he is talking about. No matter b-rb-hemi they all use the same pump. There is no hemi specific pump that I am aware of.
The HIGH VOLUME PUMP body is "thicker" or approximately 3/8" more deeper with more rotor, body dimensions. The passageways and bolting are the same. The relief valve spring tension will be slightly greater. I've used the Melling HIGH VOLUME PUMP on my RS23V0A****** for ~ 30 Years without any problems. The bearing clearances are: main and rod bearings @ 0.025" using Mobil One 10W-30 + pint of ZDDP and std lifter bores. 75 PSI oil pressure @ 3000 RPM hot and 50 -60 PSI hot @ ~ 1200 RPM hot. Bearings are Clevite 77 tri-metal for mains and rod bearings. Others will have their own opinions and preferences......
BOB RENTON

received a Melling HIGH VOLUME PUMP thanks for all advice i sure need it
have another question if anyone can give guidance.
i have stock 426 hemi heads ( fresh )with only SS valves my block is a 4.5 inch bore also fresh new / i have a new 540 stroker kit low compression but my question is the block is 4.5 the factory heads are 4.25 in circumference was told to assemble with only one piston in hole put head on without gasket rotate slowly and see if there is any contact
do i need to unload heads and go to aluminum?
thanks all

As far as a high volume oil pump how did you come up with the conclusion you sure needed it? The older heads should fit the larger bore fine. All piston clearances should be checked. With any build the piston to valve clearances should always be checked. Just make sure the larger bore head gaskets fit the sealing areas on the older small bore heads.

Last edited:
sorry did not mean i sure needed it meaning for the motor i meant (i sure needed the advice about oiling) high volume was recomended
i was concerned if i could use the stock factory heads on this big bore block understanding clearances should always be checked

received a Melling HIGH VOLUME PUMP thanks for all advice i sure need it
have another question if anyone can give guidance.
i have stock 426 hemi heads ( fresh )with only SS valves my block is a 4.5 inch bore also fresh new / i have a new 540 stroker kit low compression but my question is the block is 4.5 the factory heads are 4.25 in circumference was told to assemble with only one piston in hole put head on without gasket rotate slowly and see if there is any contact
do i need to unload heads and go to aluminum?
thanks all

.060 suggested minimum , by Tom Hoover...
on my old hemi super stocker , the pistons just touched the heads enough to keep the carbon off at ''hi rpm'' , Hoover said it was just right ...14 yrs. , no problem with them ...

Auto Transport Service
Back