• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hemi oil pump

steve maluk

Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
hello gang
need some help
machine shop is saying i need to look into a hemi oil pump verse a big block mopar pump. he is saying due to heads being so big a hemi pump is required any advise is grateful
street machine
hemi mega block 4.5 bore
thanks

hello gang
need some help
machine shop is saying i need to look into a hemi oil pump verse a big block mopar pump. he is saying due to heads being so big a hemi pump is required any advise is grateful
street machine
hemi mega block 4.5 bore
thanks
High volume pump is what he's talking about? You should have a 'hemi' oil pan for that too.

I would think your machine shop would do the choosing on something like this? Your oil pressure may vary depending on what the bearing clearances are and oil weight to be used. Will you be using internal or external oiling?

For OEM quality pumps, Melling sells their model M-63HV for high volume, and M-63HP for high pressure. -Also, as Cranky had mentioned, a higher volume pump may require a higher oil capacity pan.

There's lots of other fancy parts available...But we'll keep it simple first.

ok / new build from scratch / need to purchase all new so is there a special oil pump for a hemi or is a big block pump high pressure ok like would a 440 pump bolt up?
what is the difference between a high pressure and a high volume thanks to all

hello gang
need some help
street machine
hemi mega block 4.5 bore
thanks
Shop does not know what he is talking about. No matter b-rb-hemi they all use the same pump. There is no hemi specific pump that I am aware of.

And of you put on a high volume pump the engine mount bracket hits the pump and won’t sit flat against the block. I doubt Chrysler corp made all their 426 cars that way.

Get a harden tip oil pump drive with appropriate gear for your cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only difference for OEM hemi pump (440 HP i believe also) was the relief spring had a higher rating so that relief valve opened later.

the "hemi" pump just had a higher relief spring (black 65psi for street hemi, '64-'65 race hemi had a plain 75psi spring). rotors are the same for all factory installed big block pumps.

You need a new machine shop
^^^^^^this^^^^^^^
You will need a higher capacity pan , the gen 2 hemis have excellant drain holes in the corners of the heads and block , for the oil to get back to the pan , the wedge engines dont have them...

what the hell is a stroker tray
You must not know anything about a stroker motors internals. So time to read. Longer stroke means the rods and crank journals are further out past the pan rail and the same goes on the other side they are further in the motor. With that said a stock windage tray will get the crap beat out of it. A redesigned tray has clearance made into it for the crank and rods.

First question is what are you planning to do with it? Cruise it around, street strip, run the piss out of it?

Might as well pile-on

What’s a vintage tray? Old?

:lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back