• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Hemi starter and bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nose one of a slant 6 starter is different and won’t fit the hemi bellhousing. I’m sorry I can’t Tell you how they differ.

Wish he had set them up the same way, I couldn’t see what he was saying is the difference. As long as the nose is out the same distance I don’t see a problem unless the 6 has weaker windings

I know in a number of posts they mention the part numbers of individual components & specifically the pt # of the barrel.... When reading about this years ago I remember reading the barrel length of the Hemi is longer because it has a higher torque rating.... Hard to find allot of the old posts, they seem to disappear... I paid attention to the posts back 10-15 years ago because I'd beaten my head against a wall back in the 70's when I'd gotten involved in helping a friend on his 68 GTX Hemi 4spd with a bad starter... Adding to the difficulties is the fact we and the GTX were on Guam... Parts for normal cars was tough enough... We wound up swapping pieces & parts from the Hemi & a starter for an airport tug with a /6... It wasn't even close to right but it worked....

Okay... Differences.... Look at the hole that lines up with the solenoid, the Hemi one has threads, the six cylinder one doesn't... It takes a bolt... Also the casting is relieved on the Hemi, there is actually allot more metal on the six cylinder nose cone.... Look where the arrow is pointing.. See where the arrow points to a curved relieved area on the semi starter..

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.50.28 PM.png

Thanks for all the help saves me a lot of hassle

1966-69 four speed starter, any out there for a reasonable price? Bell housing to fit said starter, even one of those cast steel blow proofs
I have a starter and bell housing 66-7 small front input bearing 18 spline $1600 plus shipping
68-9 have a big input shaft bearing so the hole in the bell housing is larger

Where ya
I have a starter and bell housing 66-7 small front input bearing 18 spline $1600 plus shipping
68-9 have a big input shaft bearing so the hole in the bell housing is larger[/QUOTE
Where are you

Messed up reply, where are you located

how much for starter? I have a 70 trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back