• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Trans Cooler ??

Hemi2Much

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
I have a question.
1966 Coronet Hemi 426 with 727 Transmission.
On my car, it has a 26" radiator From most of the pictures I've seen the radiator has a transmission cooler built into it. But the car was equipped with an external trans cooler.
So was the cooler on the radiator completely bypassed? Or was the radiator for the Hemi cars not equipped with the cooler? Someone here also stated that the fan shroud for 1966 was a one year only. Is anyone aware of a reproduction fan shroud for 1966?
Thanks for the Help.
JKent

sh 4.jpg
sh1.jpg
sh2.jpg
Lines routed through trans then to external cooler then back to trans. They sell the lines repo. Fan shroud has a steel access plate. Any A/C car with a 26" radiator.

Last edited:
Can't answer specifically for a 1966 but 1968 Hemi cars use both the trans cooler in the radiator and external cooler mounted in front of radiator. If I remember correctly the fluid circulates through the radiator first then the external cooler and back into transmission.

The reproduction trans line kits I've used are complete and include all 4 lines.

By the way Glenn Ray does an excellent job at restoring your old one and or reproducing these!

My car is routed thu the radiator lower tank to external cooler.

Ive always been told ALL street hemi auto cars are this way

Shroud on mine is the same one used up thru 1969.and last i ckd was still avail thru and mopar dealers

Last edited:
66 parts catalog bottom of picture middle column b-body column.
shroud.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back