• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here’s a rare one, 77 Midnight Charger with T tops

I'd drive it. I have always liked Magnum's, Cordoba's and Mirada's.

Last edited:
I’d drive the hell out of it! Not that my opinion is worth anything, but 1st gen chargers are sophisticated cruisers, 2nd gen chargers are bruisers, 3rd gens are a little both, 4th gens are just pure cruisers!

It look okay but it would prefer another color and rims. :)

I thought the midnight edition was a triple black car? So what makes it a midnight edition? The rear window treatment?

I remember looking at these when they were new.
I worked at a Dodge Dealer when these were new. We only got 1 in. Light pale blue with a sun roof.
Don't know why they called them "Midnight" The front grille was different, different trim and a thick padded quarter Vinyl top.
Maybe "Midnight" was because of sun roofs getting called "Moon Roof" and night time T tops. Could be that they only came with either.
Long ago. I do remember thinking "God that thing is ugly" Times change and so did my thinking.

Nice ! Low miles and 4 bbl. carb. I was thinking that it would be a Dark blue or Black car. Rare Indeed.

I've only seen a handful of them in my life, and the Mecum one is the only one I've seen with T tops.
I worked at a machine shop part time for a couple years when I was in college in the early 80s, and one day one of my colleagues showed up with one, and said it was "really rare". Of course at the time it was only around 5 years old so I just rolled my eyes. But from what I've found, the production numbers of Midnight Chargers was pretty close to the production numbers of my Challenger T/A.
They gave one to Playmate of the year Patti McGuire in 1977. Looks better with those rally wheels, and much better with her in front of the grille!

1C985F6ABE4382AE088248CA357B7_h498_w598_m2.jpg

I assumed it would be all black. I seem to remember an ad in Hot Rod of an all black “midnight edition” back then.

Here’s the ad. I guess it was just an all black one. :D
864080A2-9A07-430F-9AB7-697B7FEB5CD4.jpeg

6D24BD47-AB2F-4884-AF6F-5FE53B54FDE3.jpeg

I like these & the Cordoba's from 75-77. I had a 77 Cordoba very much like the Charger in your post & loved it. Not a fan of the rims on the Charger though but could easily be changed.

I've only seen a handful of them in my life, and the Mecum one is the only one I've seen with T tops.
I worked at a machine shop part time for a couple years when I was in college in the early 80s, and one day one of my colleagues showed up with one, and said it was "really rare". Of course at the time it was only around 5 years old so I just rolled my eyes. But from what I've found, the production numbers of Midnight Chargers was pretty close to the production numbers of my Challenger T/A.
They gave one to Playmate of the year Patti McGuire in 1977. Looks better with those rally wheels, and much better with her in front of the grille!

View attachment 1420161
Hey where did that hood ornament go?

I like the Magnums best followed by the Daytona taped Chargers, then the Cordobas. You have to compare them to what was available from other manufacturers in the same years. If you do that they were pretty respectable.

So the way the Market is at these High Roller events

1 MILLION $

I know that car. It was in WI on facebook for like two years running, on and off every couple weeks during the summer. The guy wanted $18k for it. That might not seem bad for the miles and condition but this is WI, not many people looking to pay that for this era with cost of living range/pay around here.
I wonder if he is the one that sent it to Mecum or if someone else "invested" in it and took it there.
I wonder if some knob will pay like $60k for it or something.
On the one hand i wouldn't mind seeing some respect for these cars.
On the other, these are like the last era of cars younger people can get into car culture with and I would hate to see retired "investment" a-holes destroy the market.

The pictures look like it might have Colorado plates on it but blurred out.
California is a long way to send a car for a Mecum auction if one is in Wisconsin. They have auctions much closer like Indianapolis and Chicago.
Being a Wisconsin car, I wonder if it was scaly underneath or clean.
Hard to say what market price of nice late B body Chargers, Magnums and Córdobas is, given how few sell on public venues.
A real nice looking Magnum XE but no T tops or sunroof sold at Mecum a year or so back for $16,500. Around the same time a very low mile highly documented 78 Cordoba sold for $24,000 on BAT which raised a few eyebrows.
I‘d say the very top examples of these cars can break $20,000, but for the most part a decent example can be had for low to mid teens, that is if you can find one for sale.

Auto Transport Service
Back