• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey Hey, from Muskoka Ontario.

Hey Jay. Thought I'd give you the tire and rim size for my American racings. The rears are 8.0" Tor-Thrust D. The back space is 4.50"
The tires are BFG TA's P235-/70R15. I first tried 8.5's with 3.75 back space. They won't fit with the longer 64' tapered diff. The tires are a bit small (to me) and I will be going up a size next year. My front rims are 4", so I won't bother with the tire size. I think you'll want to go with 6" up front for your car. Hope this is helpful.

View attachment 1572424View attachment 1572425
This is great! Thank you very much for the info.

Those are the rims I like best, the D. I have read they are available in 3 shades of grey and polished (chrome) I went back and forth between the polished and the grey. At this point I'm going to go with the Grey.

I took some measurements, and did some figuring and I came out with the following...

I wanted to know how big on the rear I could go without doing any mods ( I probably won't go this big but I wanted to know the max option)

15 x 8 rims
P295/50R15 105S SL BF Goodrich radial T/A tires

On the front I am thinking

15 x 8 rims
P225/60R15 95S SL BF Goodrich radial T/A tires

this is what are on it now, all 4 wheels are the same size

Screenshot 2023-12-17 154534.png

what do you think, will they fit ?

I would value any and all opinions

Greetings from Canada!!! :canada:Wait. Your here too! Fantastic car, 64's rule!! My Dodge was built in the US,
but my 64' Sport Fury is Canadian. Your car has the very same interior as it does. Gramps really knew how to
pick out a car. Enjoy it as much as you can!

View attachment 1570912
That car looks awesome! I noticed it has a passenger side mirror, mine only has one on the drivers side.

Those are the rims I like best, the D. I have read they are available in 3 shades of grey and polished (chrome) I went back and forth between the polished and the grey. At this point I'm going to go with the Grey.

I took some measurements, and did some figuring and I came out with the following...

I wanted to know how big on the rear I could go without doing any mods ( I probably won't go this big but I wanted to know the max option)

15 x 8 rims

15 x 8 rims

View attachment 1574649

If you have manual steering, the wider you go on the front the harder it is to turn. Too wide will rub on the frame.
Just saw that you have power steering. My personal opinion is narrower on the front is better.

Last edited:
If you have manual steering, the wider you go on the front the harder it is to turn. Too wide will rub on the frame.
Just saw that you have power steering. My personal opinion is narrower on the front is better.
I agree with 440. Your 14's seem a bit small now, but a big tire/rim combo on the front could have some problems. 8"rims on the front seem a little wide to me. Then again, I don't know if you going for
a certain look. The "drag car" look is wide rears / skinny fronts, the "stock car" look is usually the
same size on all 4 corners with the "street machine" mostly having wide rears with a slightly smaller
front tire/rim. If your just looking to go cruising I would go 8"rear with 6"front. Also remember
that you can use spacers to bring the fronts out a bit if needed. If your buying you tires locally, a good
tire shop guy can usually take a quick look and tell you exactly what size will work and what won't.
I was just looking at a picture of your (very cool!!) car. If you could fit the front with a 15" tire with
a 6" rim to match the size of what you have now, I think it would work well. Then fill out the rear with
a set of 8" rims with the biggest tire that will fit with out problems and I think you might be happy.
The tires on the car below are 225/70 on 6" rims all the way around. I think the fronts are fine, but
I find the rears too small. The wheel house can hold more tire and rim. I would go 8" for that rim.

I hope this helps a little.

1964-dodge-440 (5).jpg
1964-dodge-440 (1).jpg

I agree with 440. Your 14's seem a bit small now, but a big tire/rim combo on the front could have some problems. 8"rims on the front seem a little wide to me. Then again, I don't know if you going for
a certain look. The "drag car" look is wide rears / skinny fronts, the "stock car" look is usually the
same size on all 4 corners with the "street machine" mostly having wide rears with a slightly smaller
front tire/rim. If your just looking to go cruising I would go 8"rear with 6"front. Also remember
that you can use spacers to bring the fronts out a bit if needed. If your buying you tires locally, a good
tire shop guy can usually take a quick look and tell you exactly what size will work and what won't.
I was just looking at a picture of your (very cool!!) car. If you could fit the front with a 15" tire with
a 6" rim to match the size of what you have now, I think it would work well. Then fill out the rear with
a set of 8" rims with the biggest tire that will fit with out problems and I think you might be happy.
The tires on the car below are 225/70 on 6" rims all the way around. I think the fronts are fine, but
I find the rears too small. The wheel house can hold more tire and rim. I would go 8" for that rim.

View attachment 1575249View attachment 1575248
I think a 275x60 might look good if it fits.

I run 215 R 70's on the front of my '64 Polara, on 15" X 7" rims. When turning the rims and tires through the front fenders, side to side, the tire would snag on the fender at leading edge of the wheel well. This is because the fender rolls in so far at the front. I had to trim the fenders back to the brace rod with a cut off wheel to avoid contact. I had shorter 14" tires on before, and it never did this. so, you need to watch tire height and rim width to avoid this. I use the same tire and rim size on the front of my 1967 R/T, and never had this problem, but the fenders do not roll in as far. I found that 225 R 70 tires would rub on frame rail at full turn.

P3020032.JPG

P3020033.JPG

I run 215 R 70's on the front of my '64 Polara, on 15" X 7" rims. When turning the rims and tires through the front fenders, side to side, the tire would snag on the fender at leading edge of the wheel well. This is because the fender rolls in so far at the front. I had to trim the fenders back to the brace rod with a cut off wheel to avoid contact. I had shorter 14" tires on before, and it never did this. so, you need to watch tire height and rim width to avoid this. I use the same tire and rim size on the front of my 1967 R/T, and never had this problem, but the fenders do not roll in as far. I found that 225 R 70 tires would rub on frame rail at full turn.

View attachment 1575542

View attachment 1575543
Dave, do you think that the 7" rims added to the problem with the rubbing on the front of your car?
I'm just sort of curious. The white 440 in my post above does have 225/70's but as I do not know the car,
perhaps they are rubbing as well or the fenders have been modified like yours. What do you think of
215/70s on 6" rims?

Last edited:
I saw that too, but do not know what it means. Dodge did not put engine size callouts on fenders as early as 1964. Plymouth put engine size callouts on their cars early on, but Dodge did not.
With that being written on the invoice, do you think it might somehow refer to something that particular
dealer put on their cars, not the factory? Kind of like the dealer tag that is usually on the lower part of the
trunk lid?

Last edited:
Dave, do you think that the 7" rims added to the problem with the rubbing on the front of your car?
I'm just sort of curious. The white 440 in my post above does have 225/70's but as I do not know the car,
perhaps they are rubbing as well or the fenders have been modified like yours. What do you think of
215/70s on 6" rims?
7" wide rims may have contributed to the problem. They replaced 14" x 5 .5" chrome Magnum 500's that I used to run, so quite a size change. 15" tire is likely taller than the 14" tires that were on it, also. Maybe different offset as well. When I bought these rims, 15 x 7 were all that was available. Like I said, I had no clearance problems with this combo on my R/T, so I gave it no thought. I run the same wheel/tire combo on all 4 corners on the Polara. I have 235 R 70 X 15 on the rear of my R/T.
Maybe 205 R 60's on 6" rims could be the answer. Shorter tire than a 70 series, but would be about same width as 215 R 70

Last edited:
7" wide rims may have contributed to the problem. They replaced 14" x 5 .5" chrome Magnum 500's that I used to run, so quite a size change. 15" tire is likely taller than the 14" tires that were on it, also. Maybe different offset as well. When I bought these rims, 15 x 7 were all that was available. Like I said, I had no clearance problems with this combo on my R/T, so I gave it no thought. I run the same wheel/tire combo on all 4 corners on the Polara. I have 235 R 70 X 15 on the rear of my R/T.
Maybe 205 R 60's on 6" rims could be the answer. Shorter tire than a 70 series, but would be about same width as 215 R 70

I have 14 inch on my 62 Furys. 14 inch look right on the front and small on the back. I put 15 inch on with 3 3/4 back set and they looked great but rubbed on the outside rear fender lip. 1964 might have a little more room.

I have 14 inch on my 62 Furys. 14 inch look right on the front and small on the back. I put 15 inch on with 3 3/4 back set and they looked great but rubbed on the outside rear fender lip. 1964 might have a little more room.
1962 and 1963 B-bodies have narrower rear end than a 1964, so should have more room.

View attachment 1575249View attachment 1575248
This helps a bunch. Thank you!

With that being written on the invoice, do you think it might somehow refer to something that particular
dealer put on their cars, not the factory? Kind of like the dealer tag that is usually on the lower part of the
trunk lid?
yep, Dad hates badges

This helps a bunch. Thank you!
I'm really glad I could help you a bit with your car Jay. I think that you will find a good home here. All the guys are the best, and I haven't found ANY site that comes close. The guy's who have posted here know these cars very well. In fact, I bet Dave 6T4 has forgotten more about early B's then I'll ever know :D. Keep us informed on your car please, she's a peach! (Don't forget the photos!)
:luvplace:
Happy New Year!!

John.

Last edited:

15 x 8 rims

15 x 8 rims

View attachment 1574649

I really like the way this looks, what sizes do you think we are looking at here?

1704248129739.png

I really like the way this looks, what sizes do you think we are looking at here?

View attachment 1584152
It's tough to tell. The front rims look skinny, perhaps 5"? The rears look wide, 8 or 8.5. Tire sizes?
Remember, many guys change out the 64' rear end for one a few years newer because they are narrower.
I'm not sure if you want to do that to your car. I have an idea. Go to YouTube and type in "1964 Dodge 440", and scroll down to the post by irishfield.(sorry, I do not know how to do a link). irishfield is dadsbee on this site. I think that he posted about your
car. Watch his video and if you like his combo, PM him for some info. His car might have the look your wanting.

It's tough to tell. The front rims look skinny, perhaps 5"? The rears look wide, 8 or 8.5. Tire sizes?
Remember, many guys change out the 64' rear end for one a few years newer because they are narrower.
I'm not sure if you want to do that to your car. I have an idea. Go to YouTube and type in "1964 Dodge 440", and scroll down to the post by irishfield.(sorry, I do not know how to do a link). irishfield is dadsbee on this site. I think that he posted about your
car. Watch his video and if you like his combo, PM him for some info. His car might have the look your wanting.
I think this is the post you are referring to

Auto Transport Service
Back