• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hi. I'm a new member from Denver Colorado. I have a '66 dodge coronet 500.

markj

Local time
11:04 AM
Reaction score
I've had my car since 1996. I traded a high school kid for my 1974 plymouth duster I had finished restoring. His grandmother had given him the coronet and ge did not want it. He saw my duster at my buddies house next door and had to have it.i traded him titles. The '66 has a 383 4 barell abd 727 auto. It spent most of its life in so cal. Until grandma moved to denver. It's been in storage from 1996 until last March when I brought it home to rekindle my long lost hobby. Decided to start working on it or sell it. Since March I've. Taken out the gas tank to clean it, put in a new sending unit, replaced tires (can hardly find 14 inch tires anymore), new battery, water pump, brake shoes, cylinders,had the radiator gone through twice and have flushed the cooling system at least 5 or 6 times cause it's been overheating since I've had it running. Did replace and check thermostat also. Any way I'm still thrilled I've kept it all this time and am reminded how much I love old mopars every time I fire it up.

Welcome aboard Mark!
Thanks for joining the forum.

Send us some pics of your 66' Coronet!
I'm sure we would ALL love to see it.

Overheating issues huh?
Specifically, what is the temp reading? (analog-read-out)

It usually happens when I get it out on the highway about 65 to 70 mph I watch the factory Guage needle climb towards the H and I also put in an aftermarket Guage as it approaches 240 I pull over and let it cool trying just to let it cool at idle but sometimes shut it down and it starts boiling thru the overflow tank

- - - Updated - - -

I'll get a pic to you asap.!!

hi and welcome to the site :headbang:

welcome to FBBO

maybe post your questions in the General Discussion forum here, you'll get far more responses,
This is the Welcome wagon, it's for intro & a little back ground some photos etc.,
it's not really a tech or question & answer part of the forum

good luck with your overheating issue
it could be allot of different things or something simple
like too much air in the system etc.

Welcome from Minnesota....love to see your ride. :headbang:

Welcome aboard would love to see some pics .
Have you tryed blowing out the rad it could be stoped up with dirt .
Also do you have a clutch fan on it still it could be going bad might be getting hot and not spinning as fast to cool the big block just a few thoughts good luck with it

Auto Transport Service
Back