• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi Robert here, been a member for 2 years (Pictures)

bake68rr

Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
Some members may remember my post in the Want to Buy section back in March of 2020. I posted that I was selling my 68 Road Runner back to the original owner from whom I bought it from. This an update and some pictures. I bought it in 1973 when I was 18 years old and dating my now wife of 47 years. It was all original with 30,000 miles. Only things I changed were the Inland shifter and the hubcaps, all of which are now in the trunk. Just had to have a Hurst shifter and Cragar S/S. Parked it in the garage in 1979 when it would not pass Pennsylvania inspection due to rust. I didn't drive it again until 1994 when I drove it to the new house we built, and it was like I was 18 again. I told my wife maybe I should wait until I'm 65 to restore it because I would probably get into trouble. In 2020, and 65, I was looking into restoring it when the original owner showed up at my front door, thanks to the internet. Strangely, neither of us had moved away from the area. After hearing it run and looking it over, he asked if I would consider selling it for $15,000 and we could go to the bank right then, I said I didn't want to sell. After a couple weeks I thought about what it would mean to him because he has two sons. How many people can say they have the car they bought new, or for the sons to have the car their Dad bought new? I talked it over with my wife and we came up with an idea. I called him and said if I can find another 68 Road Runner I would sell. I have more history with it but this is the thing legends are made of. Once a month he would call to see if I had any luck. The third month I got his call but it was his son, his Dad, 72, had a stroke and passed. He wanted to know if I would sell to him and his brother and I said absolutely and would honor the $15,000. He had a guy come out and look at it and a couple days later he called and said the most they could do $12,500. I told him that after seeing what all original, running, numbers matching cars were selling for $15,000 was a little low but would still honor it. He said they couldn't do any more. I told him I was going to a restoration shop the next day to leave a deposit. Two weeks later he called and said they would take it for the $15,000. I told him thanks but it was to late. These pictures were taken the day I drove it out of the garage for the first time in 26 years. That's dust on the hood and trunk lid, not faded paint. Finally after two years and Covid, it's in the body shop. I am sure I will have many questions for the expert members. Sorry for the long story. .
DSC01031.JPG
DSC01029.JPG
DSC01035.JPG
DSC01036.JPG
DSC01032.JPG
DSC01033.JPG
DSC01034.JPG
DSC01038.JPG

A bittersweet story. Thank you for sharing it. It would have been awesome to see the car go to the original owner's family, but perhaps you are the better caretaker, the one with the means to preserve it. I recently passed my car from back in the day to a new owner, and the fact that his son had already shown he would be a responsible custodian sealed the deal. Less than a year later, I got a surprise phone call from the owner of the first GTX I ever drove 52 years earlier and ended up buying the car. In your case, it looks like you were meant to keep this one.

I think the car is with the right person. You have owned it way longer than the original owner.

A very nice car. :thumbsup: I personally think that $15,000 was a giveaway price....too low.

But at least you are going to bring it back to life as it should be.

The cars history is with you and barely with the original owner in comparison. You've clearly shown you are the best to care for it, even if it meant just preserving it from the PA elements for all them years. Your story definitely tugs on the heartstrings, but it sounds like that '68 is still in good hands. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome. Not to hijack, but I knew better than to sell a car that would be in my line of site after the sale. Big mistake. Sold the Challenger to my wife’s grandson. I either have to see pictures of it in the snow, or smell the tires after a good roasting. Should have kept it. M6. KB Blower 15k miles and original owner. Tried to buy it back too. No go.

7211212A-752D-41A7-B8C9-CE959A392A96.png

Cool 68 RR
I'm a tad biased

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Welcome from Missouri!!

Some members may remember my post in the Want to Buy section back in March of 2020. I posted that I was selling my 68 Road Runner back to the original owner from whom I bought it from. This an update and some pictures. I bought it in 1973 when I was 18 years old and dating my now wife of 47 years. It was all original with 30,000 miles. Only things I changed were the Inland shifter and the hubcaps, all of which are now in the trunk. Just had to have a Hurst shifter and Cragar S/S. Parked it in the garage in 1979 when it would not pass Pennsylvania inspection due to rust. I didn't drive it again until 1994 when I drove it to the new house we built, and it was like I was 18 again. I told my wife maybe I should wait until I'm 65 to restore it because I would probably get into trouble. In 2020, and 65, I was looking into restoring it when the original owner showed up at my front door, thanks to the internet. Strangely, neither of us had moved away from the area. After hearing it run and looking it over, he asked if I would consider selling it for $15,000 and we could go to the bank right then, I said I didn't want to sell. After a couple weeks I thought about what it would mean to him because he has two sons. How many people can say they have the car they bought new, or for the sons to have the car their Dad bought new? I talked it over with my wife and we came up with an idea. I called him and said if I can find another 68 Road Runner I would sell. I have more history with it but this is the thing legends are made of. Once a month he would call to see if I had any luck. The third month I got his call but it was his son, his Dad, 72, had a stroke and passed. He wanted to know if I would sell to him and his brother and I said absolutely and would honor the $15,000. He had a guy come out and look at it and a couple days later he called and said the most they could do $12,500. I told him that after seeing what all original, running, numbers matching cars were selling for $15,000 was a little low but would still honor it. He said they couldn't do any more. I told him I was going to a restoration shop the next day to leave a deposit. Two weeks later he called and said they would take it for the $15,000. I told him thanks but it was to late. These pictures were taken the day I drove it out of the garage for the first time in 26 years. That's dust on the hood and trunk lid, not faded paint. Finally after two years and Covid, it's in the body shop. I am sure I will have many questions for the expert members. Sorry for the long story. .
View attachment 1373588View attachment 1373590View attachment 1373594View attachment 1373595View attachment 1373598View attachment 1373600View attachment 1373601View attachment 1373605
B6D5A9B7-D7C9-4B3B-8BE1-17E05A0085B5.gif
7A07F592-BD26-4FFC-B7F3-9EAC76044306.gif
73EE5492-9D81-469A-9A97-AEB58A9C0F1C.gif
AC93C027-F6A6-4565-AA45-5D2CA83D8E72.gif
0FA2CC2B-0E0B-4B9C-AF8A-1011FAA7B8E2.gif
F6CA46B1-EE81-4ED0-AB05-A47D67DECFF2.gif
99A32CF4-4E3B-4C1C-99F5-A544A000C7CC.gif
7CC79BA3-4A47-4E67-A78D-C2099F7D7787.gif
A6DCC3D3-242F-47DE-82C8-8A8260E73360.gif
AD0AAD71-FC62-45F6-95C2-0D22F78A5D44.gif

Welcome from NJ!

WOW! She's a beauty! (I'm very partial to RR1 Burgundy Metallic Road Runners)
White guts in that car looks sweet. Mine's got a white top and thin side stripe.
Welcome from Pittsburgh!

WOW! She's a beauty! (I'm very partial to RR1 Burgundy Metallic Road Runners)
White guts in that car looks sweet. Mine's got a white top and thin side stripe.
Welcome from Pittsburgh!
Hey Harry, yes I see the front of your car, nice. Mine has a thin white side stripe but it is mostly faded away.

Thank you everyone for all the positive replies. I was at the body shop today and here's a picture.
DSC06256.JPG

Hi, from Alabama. I think it's great that you kept it. My first Hemi car was a 68 RR, bought in 98. I should've sold it, but it helped get my Superbird.

Great story, and I agree with others. You have the most history with the car and are the best one to keep it. If the kids of the original owner were lowballing you with offers, I wonder how they would handle the BIG costs of a restoration?

I love your car's color combination. The white interior with the burgundy exterior looks fantastic, and I really can't remember seeing too many in that combination. Do you plan to keep it that color combination?

Welcome back aboard from Ohio.

Auto Transport Service
Back