• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hidden AM/FM radio

Wmcmackin

Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
I was having trouble thinking of a cost effective way to replace my original AM radio in my 65 Plymouth belvedere II as there are only 1 or 2 AM radio stations in New Brunswick Canada and they are out of my way ....I can't stand the looks of a new radio in an old car and i don't like the look of a box or anything hanging down below the dash I figured I'd get creative without spending hundreds of dollars on a radio setup...I bought a radio delete plate from redvenomrepos (great quality and great customer service) and added a hinge mechanism along with magnets to hold the plate up....I now have the capability of hiding a new radio without it actually being seen I'll add more pics in a few weeks when I get the radio installled

IMG_3409.JPG IMG_3410.JPG IMG_3411.JPG IMG_3412.JPG IMG_3413.JPG IMG_3414.JPG

Why not have your AM radio upgraded to FM/Bluetooth/ USB ? It will look totally factory on the outside, but perform like a modern unit ...http://www.ricksradioconversions.com/
With the dollar the way it is for me to do the cheapest upgrade which is 360$ US that's over 500$ Canadian which I'd rather put that money into the engine or drivetrain if I have to do far I have 80$ Canadian into this mod and the radio im putting in will have basically the same capabilities except I'll be paying less than 50$ for it

Good idea, I like that. May have to use that on my 64 Savoy. Thanks.

I was having trouble thinking of a cost effective way to replace my original AM radio in my 65 Plymouth belvedere II as there are only 1 or 2 AM radio stations in New Brunswick Canada and they are out of my way ....I can't stand the looks of a new radio in an old car and i don't like the look of a box or anything hanging down below the dash I figured I'd get creative without spending hundreds of dollars on a radio setup...I bought a radio delete plate from redvenomrepos (great quality and great customer service) and added a hinge mechanism along with magnets to hold the plate up....I now have the capability of hiding a new radio without it actually being seen I'll add more pics in a few weeks when I get the radio installled

View attachment 408063 View attachment 408064 View attachment 408065 View attachment 408066 View attachment 408067 View attachment 408068

You'll not only hide the radio but you make it a bitch to turn on, tune, change volume and read the dial. May as well not have one there at all. I hope you don't intend on "distracted" driving just to use the radio. There are more options available in a radio like remote control. I bought a nice new Pioneer that sits up under the lower dash just above the console. It illuminates in a million colors to match the rest of the dash, has a remote and all the do-dads like USB, B-tooth, CD etc. Looks perfectly in place just like the old tape players jobbers used to install.
Cost? $182 at 2001 Audio/Video. Can adjust volume, bass, treble, input, brightness, channel, AM/FM, On/Off, illumination color source and song title off the remote which also has friendly touch dots for distracted driving. Hell, you can even put it under the seat because it doesn't use "line of sight" remote. You don't need to see the radio head because channels are stored in memory sequenssionaly - just push the up/down arrows on the remote. It's a good option that doesn't cost a fortune and will channel you cell through the speakers as soon as a call comes in. Even has an ultra mini microphone for hands free calling.

You'll not only hide the radio but you make it a bitch to turn on, tune, change volume and read the dial. May as well not have one there at all. I hope you don't intend on "distracted" driving just to use the radio. There are more options available in a radio like remote control. I bought a nice new Pioneer that sits up under the lower dash just above the console. It illuminates in a million colors to match the rest of the dash, has a remote and all the do-dads like USB, B-tooth, CD etc. Looks perfectly in place just like the old tape players jobbers used to install.
Cost? $182 at 2001 Audio/Video. Can adjust volume, bass, treble, input, brightness, channel, AM/FM, On/Off, illumination color source and song title off the remote which also has friendly touch dots for distracted driving. Hell, you can even put it under the seat because it doesn't use "line of sight" remote.
The radio I was looking at getting was a remote control one it takes seconds to flip the plate down and change that stuff and I rarely use the radio anyways it's more for the long ole drives with the girlfriend who can easily change that stuff as need be for the most part it'll have an aux cord or Bluetooth that'll rub off my iPod anyways and it controls volume and song choice anyways

I put Secret Audio in 48 Plymouth for a number of reason. Listening to the radio is not one of them. I never listen to standard radio as I think DJ's are a total waste of air time....but that is just me...the Secret Audio has a remote control head that will practically mount anywhere and also a RF remote that does not depend on line of sight...kinda costly overall but the amp taps and the multi media inputs far outweigh the cost in the long run.

Have you considered running a nice Bluetooth amp hidden like the soundstream or kicker unit ?

Finally got the hidden radio wired up and tested it works perfect and my remote for it works excellent so I don't even have to flip the plate down to change volume or stations even has an aux cord and USB port I can use if I wanna get really carried away

IMG_3465.JPG IMG_3466.JPG

Man that dash and that 4 speed reminds me of my 65 satellite I drove my senior year of high school. Man.... awesome.

Finally got the hidden radio wired up and tested it works perfect and my remote for it works excellent so I don't even have to flip the plate down to change volume or stations even has an aux cord and USB port I can use if I wanna get really carried away

View attachment 413984 View attachment 413985

Cool idea. I don't have the original radio for my 65 Coronet, so this may be a good option to consider. I have an similar type head unit that I pulled out of my Olds Intrigue before I donated last December that I can use.

View attachment 413984 View attachment 413985
Wm, how did you attach the hinge to the faceplate? Epoxy? Thanks.

Wm, how did you attach the hinge to the faceplate? Epoxy? Thanks.
I used 2 course thread counter sunk screws in the normal screw location I just made the faceplate counter sunk as well as a plate I rivet to the hinge

IMG_3467.JPG

Great job! I really like it the best of both worlds. Thanks for sharing.

Auto Transport Service
Back