• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ho-lee crap. At least I know my PCV works!

beanhead

May I Land My Kinky Machine
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:51 AM
Reaction score
I posted earlier in the 'what did you do to your car today' thread that I installed a Moroso air-oil separator, in-line with my PCV.
Ouch yeah it was spendy. Probably too fancy for my roadkill-before-it-was-cool '68.
After seeing what it trapped after 3 drives, 27 total miles (One trip had several WOT blasts and a little spinny-spin for some kids at the gas station)---Damm!
I regret spending the cash not one bit.

I'm using Mancini's nice fabbed covers, and they ARE baffled....

Yikes! Almost a full tablespoon. And it was nasty; not anything you'd want going back into your engine--
20201114_191351.jpg

.....Did I mention that's from less than 30 miles?! :mad:

Anyway. The Wagner PCV is tuned per instruction. Maybe a better-baffled cover would limit it, but it is what it is....I'm just glad that crap isn't going into my intake anymore.

Here's the unit, installed:
20201114_124442.jpg

20201114_124619.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't it just go into the base of the carburetor and be adomized and burned with the gas. The way I see it is no harm no foul. Your plugs may last a day or two longer, or your carburetor may not need a kit as soon. If that is 30 miles, or about a quart every 500 miles, I would want to know why. Better valve covers, valve guide seals, or valve guides? Just an opinion.

Wouldn't it just go into the base of the carburetor and be adomized and burned with the gas. The way I see it is no harm no foul. Your plugs may last a day or two longer, or your carburetor may not need a kit as soon. If that is 30 miles, or about a quart every 500 miles, I would want to know why. Better valve covers, valve guide seals, or valve guides? Just an opinion.
I just don't think the baffling in the covers is all that great... it's not the guides or seals. This is oil that's blowing around after leaking out of the rockers.
I previously used (on a different engine) valve covers with no baffles, and I used those baffled grommets for the PCV and breather. Worked just 'okay', not great. I think the factory had it right with the long baffles that were up real tight to the cover ceiling, but none of the aftermarket pieces have those. And factory covers don't quite clear my valvetrain.....oh well that's hot-roddin! I may actually re-visit the PCV adjustment, it may need to be a little more restrictive than the instructions call for.

I just don't think the baffling in the covers is all that great... it's not the guides or seals. This is oil that's blowing around after leaking out of the rockers.
I previously used (on a different engine) valve covers with no baffles, and I used those baffled grommets for the PCV and breather. Worked just 'okay', not great. I think the factory had it right with the long baffles that were up real tight to the cover ceiling, but none of the aftermarket pieces have those. And factory covers don't quite clear my valvetrain.....oh well that's hot-roddin! I may actually re-visit the PCV adjustment, it may need to be a little more restrictive than the instructions call for.
My first new car was a 383 4-speed in 67. I ran the crap out of it. I was told to break it in like I would drive it, but just to vary the speed for the first 500 miles. It's maiden voyage was about 80 miles back to a town about 80 miles away for work the next day. So I varied the speed between 80-120 all the way there. Within 1500 miles I was back at the dealer complaining about excessive oil usage. Upon inspection they found about 40% of the valve guide seals had popped out. This was a regular thing until Chrysler made the umbrella seals. Then it used little to no oil.
I'm sure that's probably not your problem and you have a good point about the valve covers with very little clearance and it's probably an engine that is oiling well. I would address it or plan on emptying that container on a very regular basis.

I believe the HellCats have a factory one that drains back to the oil pan as the boost causes more oil in PCV

I'm using the Wagner PCV valve also. Using 440 source valve covers that look like yours but did not have baffles. I put my own baffle in. Don't have a catch can/separator, but don't notice anything in my throttle body either. You may be correct in having to readjust. I remember the instructions saying that it was a close adjustment but fine tuning may be necessary. My 496 stroker w hydraulic roller cam pulls 13" of vacuum at idle (850 rpm).

I believe the HellCats have a factory one that drains back to the oil pan as the boost causes more oil in PCV
Yeah a lot of modern boosted cars use them. Even a little oil in the mix is bad news for those..

I'm using the Wagner PCV valve also. Using 440 source valve covers that look like yours but did not have baffles. I put my own baffle in. Don't have a catch can/separator, but don't notice anything in my throttle body either. You may be correct in having to readjust. I remember the instructions saying that it was a close adjustment but fine tuning may be necessary. My 496 stroker w hydraulic roller cam pulls 13" of vacuum at idle (850 rpm).
Mine makes about 9" now and I had adjusted the PCV for the 7"-10" setting. I'm going to go back to the higher setting and see what happens.

And to add, my plugs weren't fouling out or anything; but I'd been noticing just a little wet black on the first two threads. I don't want any oil in the chambers, for mixture/power purposes but also to avoid the buildup on the valves and piston tops. They cake up fast..

Where's that oil supposed to go after it done it job lubing the rockers? What about all that pressure of fresh oil coming up behind it with every revolution? I must be severely missing something about oiling systems?

I posted earlier in the 'what did you do to your car today' thread that I installed a Moroso air-oil separator, in-line with my PCV.
Ouch yeah it was spendy. Probably too fancy for my roadkill-before-it-was-cool '68.
After seeing what it trapped after 3 drives, 27 total miles (One trip had several WOT blasts and a little spinny-spin for some kids at the gas station)---Damm!
I regret spending the cash not one bit.

I'm using Mancini's nice fabbed covers, and they ARE baffled....

Yikes! Almost a full tablespoon. And it was nasty; not anything you'd want going back into your engine--
View attachment 1026890
.....Did I mention that's from less than 30 miles?! :mad:

Anyway. The Wagner PCV is tuned per instruction. Maybe a better-baffled cover would limit it, but it is what it is....I'm just glad that crap isn't going into my intake anymore.

Here's the unit, installed:
View attachment 1026891
View attachment 1026892

Yeah that is a common problem with a big stroker engine. Good thing you added the catch can, now you see what was getting dumped into your intake manifold. You'll need to spend some time fabricating a better baffle system for the valve cover. Don't get discouraged, if it is your first time you'll require a few tries before you find a design that works. With the proper baffle design you will be able to significantly reduce the amount of oil that gets trapped in the catch can.

I built my own stuffed with stainless scrubber pads. Picked up oil but not a whole lot.
20181106_130758.jpg
20181106_140332.jpg
20181106_143900.jpg

Where's that oil supposed to go after it done it job lubing the rockers? What about all that pressure of fresh oil coming up behind it with every revolution? I must be severely missing something about oiling systems?
It should drain back to the pan....not get sucked out and fed into the intake tract.

May want to consider moving the pcv to the front, also. Less oil there when car is moving.

I have the "Mopar Performance" covers on my engine. Does anyone know if the Wagner would fit? I'm not at home to see for myself and won't be for a few months :(

Auto Transport Service
Back