• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley Retro-Bright LEDs

Sinitro

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
We saw these @SEMA and was very impressed, Holley sold out the 1st production lot but we were able to procure (4) Classic White 5.75" pieces. We installed these in our 70RR, after I made a Y connection harness so both pair of LEDs would be switched simultaneously to high & low beam. The LEDs fit perfectly in the RR buckets, and total install time was about 45 minutes. To say the least these LEDs are most impressive, very bright with a wide light dispersion. Yes, they are pricey but IMHO well worth the $$.

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Untitled.png

Using new halogen sealed beams and relays and properly adjusting the beams, along w a 120amp alternator, my '67 gives me enough light that I won't ever over-drive them at interstate legal speeds.

Are those new LED retro lights DOT approved? I’m not hip on blinding on coming traffic when my halogen still do well.

Are those new LED retro lights DOT approved? I’m not hip on blinding on coming traffic when my halogen still do well.

According to Holley... Their Retro-Bright LEDs exceed SAE and DOT requirements...

Exceed as in blind on coming traffic? Or approved for on road use..

I did talk to the Holley product manager about the DOT approval process..
He advised that the Retro-Bright LEDs do meet the DOT Standards 108, and includes the following parameters:
1. Aiming Reference Plane means a plane which is perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle and tangent to the forwardmost aiming pad on the headlamp.Axis of reference means the characteristic axis of the lamp for use as the direction of reference (H = 0°, V = 0°) for angles of field for photometric measurements and for installing the lamp on the vehicle.
2. Beam contributor means an indivisible optical assembly including a lens, reflector, and light source, that is part of an integral beam headlighting system and contributes only a portion of a headlamp beam.
3. Cutoff means a generally horizontal, visual/optical aiming cue in the lower beam that marks a separation between areas of higher and lower luminance.Direct reading indicator means a device that is mounted in its entirety on a headlamp or headlamp aiming or headlamp mounting equipment, is part of a VHAD, and provides information about headlamp aim in an analog or digital format.
4. Effective light-emitting surface means that portion of a lamp that directs light to the photometric test pattern, and does not include transparent lenses, mounting hole bosses, reflex reflector area, beads or rims that may glow or produce small areas of increased intensity as a result of uncontrolled light from an area of 1/2 degree radius around a test point.
5. Effective projected luminous lens area means the area of the orthogonal projection of the effective light-emitting surface of a lamp on a plane perpendicular to a defined direction relative to the axis of reference. Unless otherwise specified, the direction is coincident with the axis of reference.Filament means that part of the light source or light emitting element(s), such as a resistive element, the excited portion of a specific mixture of gases under pressure, or any part of other energy conversion sources, that generates radiant energy which can be seen.

I was not aware of all of the above test parameters but he did advise he would send me a copy of the actual test results if so desired.

Interesting as most vehicles with LED lamps are really offensive to oncoming traffic or when they are behind you forcing you to lower your exterior mirrors. Lifted trucks and Jeeps that haven’t readjusted are terrible. As a DOT inspector for trucks I do pay attention.

To date I haven't driven long enough with the Holley Retro-Brights but as mentioned their light dispersion & height is adjusted to be very similar to my OE bulbs. But I have seen some of the other aftermarket LED lights and they had a sharper, more piercing output...
For the Holley Retro-Brights I am very pleased that they illuminate well but are not that bright & powerful like a focused, searchlight....

Any issues with wiring the 4 headlamps to all operate simultaneously on low beam? Oncoming cars flash you, or the cars you are following bothered by the additional lighting?

I figured oncoming cars would flash you just because they could see 4 point sources of light, assuming your highs are on. I have considered doing this with my halogen sealed beams as a temporary measure to get more light on the road.

I do like the appearance of the retro-brights but the price is hard to get my head around, especially when converted to $cdn. However good vision at night would be a real bonus...

Any issues with wiring the 4 headlamps to all operate simultaneously on low beam? Oncoming cars flash you, or the cars you are following bothered by the additional lighting?

I figured oncoming cars would flash you just because they could see 4 point sources of light, assuming your highs are on. I have considered doing this with my halogen sealed beams as a temporary measure to get more light on the road.

I do like the appearance of the retro-brights but the price is hard to get my head around, especially when converted to $cdn. However good vision at night would be a real bonus...
The issue would be legality. Is it legal where you are? Then there is courteous. Are you being courteous to other drivers or rude?

To date my Holley (4) retro-brights install is a year old, without any issues for legality or operation. In fact many people have contacted me asking about my home-brew wiring adapter and how to connect. As mentioned previously these LEDs have a broad type wide dispersion not a sharper, piercing beam like an OE incandescent. I can't comment about this for the other brand of LEDs. I do a fair amount of driving @ nite, and am very pleased with how much better they light up the road and shoulders. Note that now Holley has available a lower-cost single high-beam only retro-bright, if one has a concern about connecting up (4) low/high beam LEDs or they can just connect the inside LEDs to be high beam. Regarding total US $ cost, yes they are pricey I did some shopping around and saved $$ for pre-paid shipping. But I was drawn to the Holley retro-brights not only for them being LEDs but that they were shallow in design so no cutting of the mounting buckets were required.

Just my $0.02...

I really like the idea of having the 5700K "modern white". All my daily drivers have LEDS in that colour range, and the halogen sealed beams look so yellow and dull to my old eyes by comparison. Its good to know that they fit in the b body buckets without modification. I have already done the relay conversion and new wiring harness to minimise voltage drop feeding the headlights - the LEDS are the next step.

Hey it’s your money but I can’t believe people are actually giving $800 for those lights when you can run these and they fit perfect.
5-3/4 Crystal Clear Metal Glass Headlight LED 4000Lm H4 Light Bulb Headlamp Set 664979139644 | eBay
I checked out the LEDs from Octane as they are close by me. What I didn't like was that they can run hot and don't have any heat sink for cooling. By running hot, reliability long term will likely be an issue. Whereas the Holleys' have a rear curved, aluminum extruded heat sink and run very cool even when ON continuously. Regarding the $$ for the Holleys', when 1st released inventory supply was tight so the sellers kept the prices high. But now more supply is available shop around significantly lower pricing is possible...

Just my $0.02...

Auto Transport Service
Back