• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home insurance

Out here there’s a hell of a lot more than a “few” buying and canceling - more like a few million.
Posted earlier on this having worked in the insurance sector for almost 20 years. The general concept with insurers is to underwrite enough people who won’t have claims, or not much, to cover for those who will. Applies to every type of insurance we can name. Second company I spent 14 years with, specialized in workers comp and did well doing it. Some distinct differences here and yet some mistakes. A couple of catastrophic losses did a whole bunch of damage to the overall loss ratio.

Company made a big mistake trying to venture into health insurance in the 90's – a disaster. Drilled down to can’t only insure all the sick or old people, without enough young/healthy people to offset the risk.

And yep, all the people driving around with no or minimal insurance (including stupid low limit requirements that won’t cover the injuries or damage they can inflict). So – the rest of us who buy the insurance pay rising premiums to offset these people who are uninsured or underinsured. I think about the costs these people create and the throngs of people who receive medical care having no insurance! Every time I hear about shootings in the hood, car-jackings resulting in crashes, injuries/fatalities…who’s paying for all this? Add all the shoplifting, looting…none other than – us – that would be - WE are..

In FL, if your auto insurance lapses, your driver's license automatically gets suspended.

My carrier switched my policy between subsidiaries (both of which carried the same umbrella company name), and mine got suspended.

It was a nightmare to figure out and sort out what happened.
I had coverage, and it was documented- and was the same policy number, but no one seemed to be able to sort out why I got suspended.
...although they were almost all quick to threaten me about future infractions and assume the reason was entirely my fault.

Company made a big mistake trying to venture into health insurance in the 90's – a disaster. Drilled down to can’t only insure all the sick or old people, without enough young/healthy people to offset the risk.
When I was a management trainee, my predecessor as general counsel warned me that this would come to haunt me when I finally got his job. The company was built on the backs of drivers in their 30s, who worked like dogs, and stayed loyal to the company for decades. The company saved a bucket of money on health insurance in the early years by self insuring. When those guys reached their 50s, the increased costs were staggering. The human resources manager watched this like a hawk, and on those rare times when I would overrule her on hiring a guy over 50, she was ready to claw my eyes out.

Auto Transport Service
Back