• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood clearance issues- need suggestions

Rocketman

Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score
Well I got my car back today and she sounds awesome, however my hood will not close. I need at least 1/2". The Mopar Performance air breather element is 2.75" tall so I need one that is shorter in a 13" filter. Anyone know of a part number that meets this maybe from NAPA or O'Reillys?

I have the hood insulation pad, if I cut out a circle for my breather now much space is gained? I hate to cut a new looking pad.

I bought the Ford Motorsports drop base but the actual drop was not enough. A 2" to 2.5" filter would be an easy fix.

Help!

I couldn't find anything that would work with the 13" mp top when trying to use it on my 69 Charger with a 440. Ended up with the more common 14" stuff. You are going to want as much room as possible unless you have the motor strapped down or are using solid mounts.

You can get a Wix #42070, which is stock replacement for the filters on a 63 Plymouth 426 with the crossram. The specs are: 12.8" O.D. X 2 1/8" high. Mine actually measure 2" high. Rock Auto has them really cheap. Any parts store can cross the Wix number to any other brand. Make sure you have clearance for the choke blade and any vents on your carburetor and that you shorten the hold down stud before closing the hood....lol.

Drop down air cleaner. Can you remove the insulation first before cutting to try it? My power bulge saved me on the Coronet.

Well I posted too soon. This morning after giving up on looking for filter, I came home and placed 1/2" of playdoh on the breather. With the hood closed it mashed it to 3/16". I then took a small ice pick and poked a hole in the insulation at the place where my breather nut hits. There is another 1" the other side of that insulation. I put the breather on, closed the hood and drove the car about 60 miles today, and runnning up to 4000 rpm and clearing out the chambers in town, the nut made just a small hole in the insulation. Thank goodness for the bulge in the 68 GTX hood!

Auto Transport Service
Back