• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood hinges

velrob

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
I'm curious if the hood hinges need grease? I am still working on the body work and I notice that sometimes the rear of the hood doesn't seat all the way down when I close the hood. I have the hinges at the rear seated downwards otherwise the hood would even be worse on closing. I can push the rear of the hood down before it's fully seated, not sure if that's normal? Should the rear be fully down when closed where I can't push it down by hand? If they need to be fully seated then I need to adjust the hinges more and if they need grease? Thanks

IMG20240129130614.jpg

I have the same problem with my hood hinges. What I have found is the teeth have worn out leaving slop in the teeth. Which you see when you close the hood and one side stays up. I have a few sets of hinges and they all seem to be worn. I am currently working on this and will more than likely involve welding up and re-cutting the teeth.

20240126_162755.jpg

Here I cut a sample. Notice how the teeth are much better

20240129_132431.jpg
20240129_132440.jpg

I lube mine with oil. It is a bit messy. Let it soak in and wipe up a few times.

Also, the rivets get worn from years of opening and closing. I have found that E body hinges wear out quicker than the B body hinges due to being longer and heavier. There are shops that rebuild them although expensive.

Lubed hinges are happy hinges...dry hinges cause all sorts of problems including cracked inner fenders and bent hoods

Thanks for all the replies. I think the teeth are worn because there is slop like mopar4don said. How much to get them rebuilt? I'll try lube first and see if it helps. I think I saw a new pair on ebay, not sure if they are trash?

When my 70 Challenger did that, I did adjust it a few times but it always seemed to not stay put. Lube did not help either. I could get it to stay while parked but after driving over a railroad track or bumpy road, it would pop back up. I am not a fan of do and re-do so I finally sent the hinges out for rebuild. The rivets were worn causing my issues. I know some people think it is all in the adjustment and they are much better at adjusting than I but IMO, they are worn out from 50 years of wriggling and jiggling.

When my 70 Challenger did that, I did adjust it a few times but it always seemed to not stay put. Lube did not help either. I could get it to stay while parked but after driving over a railroad track or bumpy road, it would pop back up. I am not a fan of do and re-do so I finally sent the hinges out for rebuild. The rivets were worn causing my issues. I know some people think it is all in the adjustment and they are much better at adjusting than I but IMO, they are worn out from 50 years of wriggling and jiggling.
if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay to rebuild them and where?

OER sells repops but not sure how good they are.

I beleive mine are worn as well as sometimes they are perfect but then they go out place.

if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay to rebuild them and where?

OER sells repops but not sure how good they are.

I beleive mine are worn as well as sometimes they are perfect but then they go out placeAfter
After many time of re-adjusting and fumbling with my hood back in 1998-2000, I sent my hinges to SMS in New Hampshire. I don't recall the exact cost but it was around $100.00 for each but that was over 20 years ago. I couldn't believe the improvement and for me, money well spent. I kept my springs and told them I would re-install them myself but they sent them back with new springs anyway. I don't have any opinions on new aftermarket hinges so no help there. The hinges on my 68 Charger are a little hookie but not too bad yet. You may luck out finding a decent used pair from a low mile car. If you send them out for rebuild, I know there are a couple other shops out there but I would expect to spend more money these days with everything seems like prices have doubled since the Covid years.

Oh sorry was driving now I see where, thx lol

Well that sucks they closed down. Sms auto but I found another place in Virginia.

Plus I found this video that I'm going to try unless the holes are real loose

Last edited:
Well that sucks they closed down. Sms auto but I found another place in Virginia.

Plus I found this video that I'm going to try unless the holes are real loose

Wow. SMS closed their doors huh? Was not aware of that. Anyway, Maybe the video is all that is needed for some. I'm gonna check my rivets. I know there is some side to side movement when the hood is open so could be my problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back