• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood repair, what "sealant" works best....

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
Guys, trying to get my 73 hood back to good repair and the "sealant" they used between the inner and outer skins has fell out or no longer "glued" to both sides. What did the factory use, regular body seam sealer, or other. Would a nice glob of silicone work better or last longer. Forty years of engine heat and time do take a toll....

You asked for it! I have 68 GTX hood that had the same problem and through my extensive research
found this product that is the magic bullet. You just have to clean and prime the areas that you are
going to apply this to, and set the hood on two horses supported at the same points that it sits on
the car. I bought mine on E-bay for about $40.00.
20200703_120704.jpg

It doesn't expand so it won't move the panel around.

Yikes, 40 bucks for six or eight little gobs....but the good stuff is not always the cheapest. Thanks much, will check it out......

Unfortunately, You're right! I had to fix mine and I called SEM's tech line for guidance.
They said that all of the restoration shops use this product for this exact problem on
Mopar, Fords and GM's. After putting it on, I put guide coat on the hood and blocked it.
I was happy!

Auto Transport Service
Back