• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood scoops in the rain, any problems?

Kultin

Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
20230505_203526.jpg

Has any body had problems while driving in the rain with a scoop? Even the big ones that can swallow a buzzard easily. Hood is not sealed around the air cleaner.

How much air will go through a wet air filter?

I've had several and never had an issue.....

...but that's an awful big one and the element sticks up and is VERY exposed.

The worst one I had was a factory ford shaker and the scoop it's self wasn't an issue but the big hole in the hood was.

Water eventually out flowed the rubber trough and hose system and drained onto the intake and timing cover, siezing the distributor that was in a casting valley.

How much air will go through a wet air filter?
Yes that's a problem.
I would suggest getting an unsilenced air cleaner and swapping if it looks like you need to drive in the rain.
Driving with a water soaked air filter would be a Very bad idea you'd end up washing the oil off the cylinder walls.

Ive driven my supercharged car in the rain a few times. Never had a problem. The tires are a bigger issue.
Doug

Road Runner hood open.jpg

What are you doing out driving in the rain?. Everybody knows that old cars are made of sugar and will dissolve!

You could probably fabricate a sheet metal baffle the height of the air filter, that runs around the front edge of the air cleaner base and blocks water from the front 180 degree filter segment. As long as it’s spaced at least an inch off the filter face and open at the top I would not think it would hurt air flow. Keep a can of WD40 in the car in case the distributor cap ever gets wet inside.

I've got caught in the rain and I didn't have any issues. I have a pan that seals to the hood and a 4" element.
20191207_160427.jpg

Six pack scoop on my charger, not sealed, been caught in stronger rain than I'd like and never had a problem at highway speed.
Snow once as well!

I really don't plan on driving in the rain. Just trying to prepare myself if I get caught in it if it happens

Fabricate a plug, keep it in the trunk.
I have run a 69 sixpack scoop, with the factory pan under the element. It has a lowered level, lower than the filter, with drains on the corners. Factory setup, works fine in the rain.
Also have a car with the dart raisin bran scoop, been run sealed to carb, and unsealed. (Strangely, unsealed was faster at the strip) . Ran in the rain, without an air cleaner at all. Also, not a problem.
I try to not run the car with no hood in the rain.

You really don’t want to be sucking water into your carb. A couple cars I had that had open scoops I would keep some foam plugs in the trunk just in case. Even towing on a trailer I would stuff them in.

Auto Transport Service
Back