• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hopefully not a members car on here..

B950BBE2-5946-4608-8E96-A794F1306412.jpeg
6E528FC3-ECC6-4B6E-AA6A-C41A8E694420.jpeg
18B49047-D589-421C-B98F-9F18E8E96A12.jpeg
6A275FDE-10AF-4D5E-8EC5-F9122B1BEC84.png
625A7951-7FB2-41F4-BBA0-85811DBDD500.png
E5DB3948-A8C3-458A-BBEA-4853F4E6260E.jpeg
50E6BD5D-6BAF-4DDE-8FD2-CB741F8F60EB.png

I had an under dash electrical fire in my 1965 Barracuda last summer. The battery is in the trunk and I was able to pull off the battery lead in time to save it. I was so depressed about this that I took 3 months to get around to fixing it. Back on the road again now though.

I can't count how many times I have found the wrong fuse size in the fuse panel. I worked on a car for a guy that replaced all of his fuses with the same Amp fuse. I asked who did this he told me he did because it was easier. Go figure that one out I told him there was a reason they do that but he wouldn't listen. He said been like that for a long time. I told him I couldn't work on the car was not going to be blamed for a fire. People don't respect the electrical.

A lot of assumptions here, looks like fire in the back and smoke in the front to me.
Maybe a cigarette or a joint fell in the back seat.
They have foam under there so it could light up nicely.

Who knows?

What's the quality like on those? I've been thinking about using them, but they look cheap.
For what their purpose is, fine. When not in use, simply turn the handle like a faucet handle. Been using these for years.

I saw it on fb also
The other picture posted on fb was straight from the side and looked very much like the fire was in the back seat area
Maybe the rubber gas line that comes off the gas tank started leaking and found it's way onto hot exhaust pipes

Damn, that sucks. Always upgrade, or at least inspect your wiring, be observant, and carry a fire extinguisher.

Why I've never tightened a negative battery cable since 1979....

Not quite as long as you but I started leaving my battery cable connections loose enough to pop off in an emergency around 1990 after an electrical short and fire in a 1981 Dodge Caravelle. I make them just tight enough to push down and a 1/4 turn and they are snug....never had a problem in over 30yrs of doing this.

Not as long as you guys, but I’ve never tightened my negative cable. Better safe then sorry

That is awful to see. Hopefully everyone got out and is safe.

I agree above - fire extinguisher inside always, and I also like the quick disconnect on the negative - quick twist and you're done.

That's why I have 2 electrical systems... one for the ignition/fuel pump/ECU and GV controller.. the rest is just the AM blues radio and headlights.. and a bypassed ammeter

A lot of assumptions here, looks like fire in the back and smoke in the front to me.
Maybe a cigarette or a joint fell in the back seat.
They have foam under there so it could light up nicely.

Who knows?

I've seen someone ignore a rear wheel bearing and somehow set the tire on fire, it got ugly from there

What's the quality like on those? I've been thinking about using them, but they look cheap.
Mine are solid brass, 2 pieces. One goes on the battery terminal, the other clamps into the chassis cable's battery clamp. The green knob simply attaches the two for use. Unscrew it and separate the two pieces to disconnect the battery from the chassis.

I've seen someone ignore a rear wheel bearing and somehow set the tire on fire, it got ugly from there
Seems like you'd have to smoke many joints or at least one huge one to allow that to happen?
chong-for-web.jpg

It's mostly Maui Wowee, but it's got some labrador in it

Personally.. my favorite scene from the movie was "I didnt know you name was Alex" (can't post vid for obvious reasons)

That sucks, looks/looked like a nice car
maybe an older build
I'd assume, with them old style Weld draglights wheels

I have an easily removable battery ground too
getting into the trunk may not be the fastest,
getting the key out & run back there
maybe a lil' quicker than pulling my 4 hood pins
always unhook it after I stop driving the car for the day or month etc.
my battery is in the pass. side of the trunk also
MP relocation deal, old school with a
3/8" wingnut-style ground cable hold-down & a 3/8" post for the ground strap
I also have a fire-extinguisher mounted between my bucket seats too
done that for nearly 5 decades
never needed them "yet", knock on wood
& I will still do it anyway, if nothing else gives me a good feeling

not so sure that is an electrical fire, started it
but that doesn't really matter
it's a good cautionary tale

Last edited:
That sucks, looks/looked like a nice car
maybe an older build
I'd assume, with them old style Weld draglights wheels

I have an easily removable ground too
always unhook it after I stop driving the car for the day or month etc.
my battery is in the pass. side of the trunk also
MP relocation deal, old school with a
3/8" wingnut-style hold-down & a 3/8" post for the ground strap
I also have a fire-extinguisher mounted between my bucket seats too
done that for nearly 5 decades
never needed them "yet", knock on wood
& I will still do it anyway, if nothing else gives me a good feeling
Don't forget fire extinguishers go bad with age...
You certainly don't want to find out during a fire.

Don't forget fire extinguishers go bad with age...
You certainly don't want to find out during a fire.
:thumbsup:
I have them everywhere too
2 in the house, on either end
2 in the garage, on either side
1 on the back deck (near the storage shed/BBQ)
1 in my Dakota
& 1 in the RR
I still need to do it in my new Gladiator, come to think of it

I fixed a lot of fire damage in my construction career
I just always have done it
better to have it & not need it, than need it & not have it

All my racecars had a 2 X 10# bottle Halon fire system,
right next to where the chute levers are
2 nozzles in the cabin
1 directed at the battery in back,
3 in the engine compartment
1 at the pan 1 on each side of the motor
my SFI firesuit & boots 3/20 was good for like 20 seconds
of 1200-1500* direct-fire
But when the race fire system goes off, you can not breath
it takes oxygen out of the air with it...
It snuffs the fire out really quickly thou...

Makes a freaken' horrid mess, when it gets/you set it off,
but well worth it, to save the car or your life...

Last edited:
They are trying to pass a bill here in Ontario to have all vehicles equipped with a fire extinguisher. Tragically, a young woman perished in a car accident north of St. Thomas, within the area that the V.F.D. that I used to be on. A drunk oncoming driver crossed the divider line and hit her head on. Although she survived the initial impact, she was pinned in her car. A fire started in her car, and no one immediately around had an extinguisher. Motorists that stopped to help made a valiant effort to free her, but ultimately had to witness her burn to death. Very sad.

Nice looking car - almost looks like mine. Man that was tough to see.

I'm confused on some of your comments on leaving the negative battery cable not too tight so you can remove it quickly if needed. Doesn't a not too tight cable invite becoming much looser with vibrations from the road and then if it's loose enough a spark can occur?? Or is there no spark potential on the negative battery terminal and my reasoning would only apply to a positive cable? Plus, if it's not tight enough, it would increase resistance and cause excess heat in the cable.

I have a power cut off switch on mine which seems more reliable than a not-too-tight negative cable doesn't it?

I'm confused on some of your comments on leaving the negative battery cable not too tight so you can remove it quickly if needed. Doesn't a not too tight cable invite becoming much looser with vibrations from the road and then if it's loose enough a spark can occur?? Or is there no spark potential on the negative battery terminal and my reasoning would only apply to a positive cable? Plus, if it's not tight enough, it would increase resistance and cause excess heat in the cable.

I have a power cut off switch on mine which seems more reliable than a not-too-tight negative cable doesn't it?
Mine is tight,
Only when I'm in it & driving, it's a 3/8" stainless wingnut on a 3/8" male post
thru #0 ga wire, when I'm not driving it, I disconnect it all together

an extremely or overly loose,
battery ground can cause issues "yes"
in several ways & in electronics too
"it could cause" heat at the connections too/melting the cable
"it could cause" an arch somewhere,
if it had excessive heat, seeking grounds
ground cables are pretty big #4 ga - #0 ga usually
but still a seeking ground isn't good for electronics
(I always have several grounds, body to chassis, body to the engine
(some right to the bolt that hold the CEI box) battery to body grounds,
on all my builds)
they will tend to seek ground, thru the nearest/shortest path otherwise
"yes" it 'could' fry electronics, or decrease their life span,
not get 100% of the voltage
&
"yes" it 'could possibly' arch & start a fire that way too
it is just a DC electrical connection,
in the highest amperage possible, right at the battery
after all
It'd need a flammable source like fuel/gas
(engine bay leaks, flammable fumes &/or an exposed fuel cell/tank, without a firewall)
or some other flammable material, close to ignite

again it's the theory;
it's far better to have it & not need it
then not have it & need it badly

Last edited:

It's lead on lead. You put it in place, push it down and turn till it binds. Been doing it for 44 years. Something goes wrong you pop the hood, twist and get it off quickly. A fire extinguisher is USELESS on a wiring fire if the battery is still hooked up.

I used to be in a rural volunteer fire department. I lived so close to the hall that I was usually the guy rolling the pumper out. In my experience, by the time the fire started, the F.D. was called, and truck arrived, the car was toast. Carry a fire extinguisher and a 1/2" wrench for the battery cable.
And a readily available 4" buck for
cutting the seatbelt.....
Had a young woman in front of me at
a four way stop. She stopped, then
proceded as one would normally do.
A car from the left failed to stop,
broadsiding the young lady.
After the impact, she was able to
exit her vehicle, but her mother
(at least 80 years old), could not.
I jumped out of my Jeep, and
approached the passenger door.