• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoping for some help from someone who's an expert on 72 Roadrunner/GTX's?

“Not all 4spd cars had torque boxes.”

Have to disagree with that statement as it relates this discussion, by ‘72 it was pretty consistent. Never seen a ’72 U coded B-body without torque boxes, standard or auto.

“Not all 4spd cars had torque boxes.”

Have to disagree with that statement as it relates this discussion, by ‘72 it was pretty consistent. Never seen a ’72 U coded B-body without torque boxes, standard or auto.
I have seen more without than with.

The tourque box discussion has been on here before.
If you have something to varify your statement please post it. Inquiring minds would like to know.

I will try posting a picture of mine tomarrow. Intresting to see if they are the same.

my hood is buried in a stack of about a dozen hoods
(yes i have well over 10k worth of expensive b body hoods :realcrazy:) lol
i will see how easy it is to access to grab a pic.

The tourque box discussion has been on here before.
If you have something to varify your statement please post it. Inquiring minds would like to know.
I’ve been involved in countless discussions about torque boxes, including on-line discussions, dating back to dealer experience when these vehicles were new. I concur there were inconsistencies in the application of torque boxes in some years prior to ’72. Again, in my experience over the years, I’ve never seen a ’72 U code without torque boxes, including the original automatic car out in the garage. What do you have in the way of back-up to support your view, any pics of original ’72 U codes without?

Original hood pins and A/G hoods, yes, hood pins were installed on A/G hoods.

Good thought..is there a way to tell if it's the original hood or a correct hood?

I will need to snap a pic of the vin tag when I see it to see if it matches the fender tag. Trunk emblems are on the passenger side with the GTX on the right of the RR badge. The V1X on the fender tag correlates to Vinyl Top..was there a different code for 1/2 vinyl?

Yes on different code for 1/2 top
vx1 is full roof
Will try to get pics for hood Id
for you tomarrow

This is a window sticker for a RR/GTX, clearly shows hood pins, A/G, and full vinyl top. I have several pics of cars so equipped if needed.
BTW, The accepted production numbers for the ’72 RR/GTX are 672 total, 219 for the 4-speeds.

rrgtx windows sticker 2.jpg

Last edited:
This is a window sticker for a RR/GTX, clearly shows hood pins, A/G, and full vinyl top. I have several pics of cars so equipped if needed.
BTW, The accepted production numbers for the ’72 RR/GTX are 672 total, 219 for the 4-speeds.

View attachment 506028
That was one question I had and you have it. There is a section on the window sticker for the GTX package. What all is included in that package?
Chrysler continues to claim the 72 GTX to be an option only. Basic RR with 440 and GTX badges. To my knowledge all RR where built in the St Louis plant. Why would they build 672 special chassis cars in different plants? The torque plates you claim all 72 GTXs have would make these cars special chassis and the plates would not have been a production line item? So from what you are saying the tourque plates alone would distinguish a GTX from the RR and Satty line of Plymouths of that year. Very important information if you can prove it to be true. Agree with your total production numbers. The 400 or so where automatic cars.
I had seen no reason to take pictures of tourque boxes over the years just to prove a point here. Thats why I asked the self proclaimed expert with an impressive stash of parts for varification of his statement. By the way do not think you will find it in the 72 dealer sales brochure, all ready looked there.

A lot of great information has been posted but to answer one of the questions from the original post, what is the value of the car? The seller is asking $45K. Here is a valuation tool that I've used in the past. I've looked up the value for this car. Take it for what it is worth but this will give a baseline to work from.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1972-Plymouth-Road_Runner-GTX

There are many factors that must be taken into consideration. One main factor is the car does NOT have the original motor so that will deduct from the value. Also, take time to investigate all the information mentioned above. Does the owner have the broadcast sheet to help verify the car is correct? Another major point to verify, as already mentioned, do all the VIN stamping locations on the car match the VIN tag and paperwork? Verify, verify and verify all the options and true condition of the car.

Another question that was asked in the original post was how much money should be invested in the car? I look at this way, there are 2 schools of thought on this. Emotional investment and common sense. Emotions can often stand in the way of common sense and let use spend above and beyond the value that we can recover if we resell a car. If this is something that you've always wanted and money is no object than spend away and have fun with it. Personally I keep my investment in my car below what I can get out of it. I do all my own work and that helps keep the costs lower.

My 72 GTX will never be original and deffinatly never be numbers matching. The original 440 had a rod kick threw the block before I saved it in 1979. The bench seat was tossed in the 80s in favor of buckets. The rest of the car is pretty much as when rolled off the assembly line. It value? Really do not care and will more than likely never leave the family.

I, myself have never seen a 440 4/spd without torque boxes. 383/400 car, yes. 440/4 or 440/6 auto, yes.
My statement refured to both auto and manual trans cars. Really wish someone would post factory info on this a solve the puzzle. I am tired of the so called experts that came not provide written proof. That just leaves us to the seen tehology which helps no one.

“There is a section on the window sticker for the GTX package.”

There is, where? In the sticker posted, E86 makes this model a Road Runner GTX. Torque plates are part of that option.

“To my knowledge all RR where built in the St Louis plant.”

Not sure I’m following, plenty of Winsor produced ’72 RR/GTXs documented, as is the one in question in this thread.

“Chrysler continues to claim the 72 GTX to be an option only.”

Where? Never seen any official Chrysler documentation to that effect. Closest wording I’ve found is in the 1972 Satellite model line brochure, there is a sentence referring to “the GTX Engines”.

“So from what you are saying the tourque plates alone would distinguish a GTX from the RR and Satty line of Plymouths of that year.”

I never claimed any such thing, the model change announcement for ’72 makes it pretty clear what makes a RR/GTX in that model year, and on through ’74.

1972Plymouthmodelchanges.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn’t it your post on this thread introducing “seen theology”?
Cut the BS you eather have it or not. I only stated what I have seen have no proof other than that. You have stated the same and apear to have no proof eather. This does no one any good. If you can really prove your point post it. We all need to know.

Auto Transport Service
Back