• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoping for some help from someone who's an expert on 72 Roadrunner/GTX's?

Take someone with you if you are viewing ... Even if you have to give them a drink ... I love it when someone else smashes my rose tinted glasses

I agree...I just don't know anyone in the LA area that's an expert on these cars....I would rather find out up front if the car isn't what it appears to be..

Good luck...took me years to find my B5 blue,4speed, N96 72 RR....the thrill is in the chase.

Update for all of you helpful people: Saw the car yesterday. Took a lot of pictures and was able to find the body stamping on the radiator support that matches the Vin. I didn't find the cowl stamping but I'm not sure I was looking in the right place. I did get the name and number of the guy that restored the car...Mark Rauch..apparently a well known mopar guy. I called him and he walked me through the restoration of the car, who built the motor (440source) etc..also told me that he located the original owners of the car and would put me in touch with them if I wanted. He made an interesting comment regarding B body cars..which is that they're very hard to sell because people don't seem to like them as much as other mopar body styles...so basically don't pay a bunch for a car if it's intended to be resold because the money can't be recovered out of these. I'm arranging with the seller to have the car evaluated at C&J Engineering and I guess we'll go from there. I do think he has the car overpriced, so I'm not sure how it will all work out. I'm so grateful for everyone's help here...further advice and ideas are more than welcome. Thanks all!

Can’t say I’ve heard of Mr. Rauch, may be locally well-known your way. Will say, I must disagree with his general B-Body comment in regards to this car. There may be more collectible Mopars these days but a ’72 RR GTX 4-speed, 1 of 219, won’t be hard sell if priced right. Documentation and the quality of the restoration should determine the selling price. If the seller should advertise it in the larger Mopar world, I’m sure it would sell quickly.

Going back and looking at your original post you mentioned this is your dream car but try not to let emotions cloud your judgement. I agree with the previous comment, this car being 1 of 219 does make it special and it should not be hard to sell if priced correctly. If the car has been for sale for a long time that will tell you the market says that it is overpriced. If that is the case use that to your advantage during negotiating a price. Set a limit that you are willing to spend and don't go beyond that. As many people have mentioned verify all body stampings are correct and that all paperwork is correct and all numbers match. Remember the non-matching number motor will pull the price down. Keep us posted.

I also completely disagree with the " people don't seem to like them" comment ... Out of ALL cars ever built by any motor company my 72' is one of if not the best looking cars ever made . Looking to the future it's what you like - not what money is in it , I'm not a horse trader ... I'm a 72 satellite DAILY driver .. unlike anyone else within a 100 mile + radius ...each to their own ... If it makes you happy buy what YOU like

He made an interesting comment regarding B body cars..which is that they're very hard to sell because people don't seem to like them as much as other mopar body styles.
Anybody who says this doesn't know diddly-squat about mopars. B and E body styles are the most preferred body styles. A and C bodies aren't even close.

I believe part of his quote was missing. I'm guessing his statement was 71-74 B bodies are hard to sell as they have a smaller (but strong) following. They are my favorites but we lovers of them are definitely the minority. Most of my Mopar friends would never own one.

yes..thank you..that's what he said..that the "coke bottle" style b-bodies are less popular. This guy's a builder and he basically said he's sticking with e-bodies as they tend to be easier to sell for whatever reason. I'm with you and apparently the minority..I really like the 71-72 Roadrunner/GTX body style..it's the only car that's really caught my eye besides the superbird...but lord knows I'm not going to be paying $150k for a superbird anytime soon...ugh.

A little off topic but having owned a 71 e body believe the ebodies are more sought after in general than b bodies, and the the 71-72 b bodies are less popular than the earlier b bodies. The market doesnt lie. Look at the values for similar conditioned and optioned cars.
That said, like many in here I actually prefer my 72 RR to my 71 Cuda. To each his own.

IMG_2456.jpg
IMG_2422.JPG
Some hood pin provisions are part of all original sheet metal parts. On the hood, the inner structure will have slightly oval holes where the pins would pass through the hood. Should be able to look up from under the hood, through the inner structure holes and see the underside of the outer hood skin. If holes were there, then filled or patched, should see the telltale signs.

As for the pins, If the car has the original fenders and inside support structure has not been re-painted you should see paint damage around the mounting holes in the fender support. A star-type lock washer was commonly used on the pin nuts, digs into the paint and metal fairly well.

View attachment 507631 View attachment 507632

My barn find 12 years ago. Just started to drive it. Changed oil,gas and it fired up. Original paint on front end. All original. All numbers match,with all paper work. 4speed , Dana

Auto Transport Service
Back