• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn help requested

Wing It

Local time
5:32 AM
Reaction score
Hi all! I am putting back together the first B Body project that I have done (it was a basket case). The car is a 1970 Roadrunner, and the horn button assembly and associated parts were missing when I bought the car. I have the steering wheel and a good used horn pad. I bought a reproduction "horn pad retainer" https://www.classicindustries.com/product/mw981.html and a "horn switch assembly" https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/search/?q=2822126. The picture below shows what I have. Am I missing something that would go in between the horn switch assembly and the horn pad retainer? Something similar to this? NOS MoPar 1970 Plymouth Duster Roadruner Dodge Dart HORN BUTTON RETAINER 2996704 | eBay (I know this part is not what I need but was wondering if there is something similar for cars that have horn pads).

Any help is appreciated!

Edit: The second picture is what I believe I need.

horn pad and parts.jpg

horn part needed only.jpg

Last edited:
button

Assemble the black switch to the silver cast adapter with three screws, install on steering wheel with three screws. hook up horn wire. Install the metal plate with three screws. Install horn ring with 1/4 bolt pop in RR cap,,,done

Last edited:
You put back the car without a FSM, or a parts manual ?
No, I have both. In the parts book it lists some adapters in group 8-33-5 but when I search the part numbers listed, the pictures that I am coming up with are of parts that are for other horn buttons. The second picture in my post is something I found online that looks to be what I need. There is a set of all of parts on ebay which includes that part but I am not a fan of paying $165 for just the one part needed. The FSM does not show the details of every horn configuration.

Last edited:
button

Assemble the black switch to the silver cast adapter with three screws, install on steering wheel with three screws. hook up horn wire. Install the metal plate with three screws. Install horn ring with 1/4 bolt pop in RR cap,,,done
Sorry but I had edited my post adding the second picture which is of a part I do not have and I believe is what I need. I added the verbiage "Edit: The second picture is what I believe I need." but when I added the second picture but that part did not post for some reason. The link you sent is actually where I got the picture of the adapter I believe I need (cropped). Not a fan of paying $165 for just the one part that is needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back