• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn shock

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:27 AM
Reaction score
70 RR auto. When i press the horn ring i get shocked if my arm is grounded ( on the window sill ). All new M&H wiring in car, new horn relay. What could be causing this. I just bought a new horn switch, but have'nt installed it yet.

Ground wire from steering column to dash is always a good thing. Factory installed One when new, they get tossed.

70 RR auto. When i press the horn ring i get shocked if my arm is grounded ( on the window sill ). All new M&H wiring in car, new horn relay. What could be causing this. I just bought a new horn switch, but have'nt installed it yet.
Was the car fully restored? The bolts that attach the dash to the A pillar are paint cutters. I have a '67 belvedere, i also put an additional ground strap on the lower rail of the dash, and attached it to the lower A pillar framework, i did grind the paint to bare metal. I put an additional ground strap on the column at the floor, and screwed it to the floor pan, carpet covers it.

Last edited:
I just "cured" this on my '68 GTX very recently:
Quick Sunday project: Eliminate the elbow wiggle! (AKA fix the damn horn button)
As others have already posted, the circuit was using me as a grounding completion point, which (knock wood) turned
out to be either in the actual horn switch in the steering wheel or at the point where the horn relay mounts to the radiator
support frame.

Your mileage may vary, of course - but mine works now and I haven't had it wiggle my elbow since. :thumbsup:

Ground wire from steering column to dash is always a good thing. Factory installed One when new, they get tossed.
I hope people really don't do that. I figure i won't toss it because it's there for a reason, especially the little stuff.

Hey Clazar,.....The Classic "Horn Shocker" Button Gag !! Guaranteed a "million" laughs !!! ... Usually Shocks you when you're Touching a metal interior car part & Releasing horn ring or button pressure but still in touching contact ..
lf you got access to an electric vom test meter (DC voltmeter function),. See if you got any (like 12 V) voltage from the Unpressed
horn ring (or button) that's shocking you to chassis ground....If yes, then Not a ground problem But Is some steering wheel Electrical Insulation Is missing..... You're feeling about 200 volt surge jolt, usually After horn blows & you're Releasing horn Blow pressure on the Chromed metallic horn rim or button & touching an metallic interior part . ... Either fix the steering wheel horn rim insulation or Maybe wire a 600 volt Reversed polarized Diode Across the horn Relay winding connection screw points....The Diode will Shunt the relay's winding de--energzing HV surge voltage to ground & greatly Reducing the "Shocker" effect !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back