• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

horn wiring problems

charger10

Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
'67 charger. horn ring does not work horn. when horn is wire to battery works, when relay battery post shorted to horn it works. i have continuity from horn relay ground to harness to steering column. i do not have continuity from column wire harness to wire on horn switch. does this mean horn switch is bad or ??? how do you test the horn switch?
in the picture showing 3 metal washers , are these correct or should they be insulated washers?
thank you
1129221347.jpg
1129221350.jpg

The horn switch is a simple contact switch. The black wire that goes to the horn switch should honk the horn when grounded (center of steering column is a convenient ground). For horn switches, I've just lightly sanded/cleaned the touching surfaces myself.

Thank you. When I painted steering wheel the center surface got heavy primer and color paint on side that contacts button.
Scraped it off and sanded. Works now.

Auto Transport Service
Back