• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot Rod

The earlier, mid-20th century definition of a Hot Rod has been applied to just about anything anymore. To me, a Hot Rod is a car or truck, pre-1960's muscle car era, that is modified for primarily for speed and performance. The more owner-built and bling-less it is, the closer it is to a pure Hot Rod.

If its still got a 292 and a fordomatic, maybe not. If its got a 408 stroker, and a five speed, you bet it is. (My opinion only).
that 57 Del Rio/2dr Ranch Wagon (?) had a worked over 390/428 FE (?)
transplant IIRC

The earlier, mid-20th century definition of a Hot Rod has been applied to just about anything anymore. To me, a Hot Rod is a car or truck, pre-1960's muscle car era, that is modified for primarily for speed and performance. The more owner-built and bling-less it is, the closer it is to a pure Hot Rod.
you can thank the Hot Rod power tour for that crap
everything is seemingly all classified as a Hot Rod now, go to the Hot Rod site
& ask them to define a hot rod,
it'll be worse arguing & fighting then that BS on
"cheap food" thread, about & mustard on a hotdog nonsense

Even a basic stock, but lowered 60's/70's Caddy with big hoops & all
which certainly is not & never ever will be...

As I said;
my version, or someone's version/definition 'of a Hot Rod'
may not be yours & visa versa

whatever floats your boat & blows your skirt up, I guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is a pure Hot Rod, hand-built, 8.50 Pro-Gas run low 8's if needed 170+
Hilborn Hat on a TunnelRam Inj. 477cid & later 499cid BBC
2900# all steel 49 Tudor Business Coupe
(Actually a '51' I made into a 49 for nostalgia drag racing rules way back when)
or AA/G when it had the Blown Enderle Inj. Alum. 526cid Milodon Hemi
ran high 7's high 180's on 33x15 slicks, way too much gearing 4.88:1
needed like 4.30:1 to stay in the power longer/faster, far less RMP at the stripe
I then switched over from dbl adj Ladders,
to a real 4 link & watts linkage, in it's heyday too,
seen many a street miles all over Calif. too
wasn't no slouch on the street tires either 31x18 M/T Sportsman Street DOT
"Man tires have come a long way today", it'd black track like F/C the whole way
still won
Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #4.jpg

Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #7 Hilborn Hat & tunnel-ram.JPG

Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #6 rear wing & adj. wick.JPG

Last edited:
well hotrods should be a personal build , i've done a few . lol . this 60 d100 was a castoff parts build . the 64 d100 was a bit of wrecking yard and new and used parts .

DSC00007.JPG

DSC04069.JPG

DSC03264.JPG

DSC03265.JPG

DSC03266.JPG

DSC03785.JPG

DSC03746.JPG

DSC03780.JPG

DSC06665.JPG

DSC09262.JPG

well i like to know what's going on at any speed . the latest used parts is a 6 71 setup for that 60 . sent it off had it rebuilt . it's ready for install .

DSC03771.JPG

DSC03773.JPG

DSC03774.JPG

unless your asking about them been clocked to read the normal operating straight up so you can see if something goes south , lol .

DSC03584.JPG

looks like i'll replacing that vac gauge for a boost/vac when that huffer gets installed . going with a later 727 as well .

The first time I saw gauges clocked like that I thought WTH but it didn't take long to see the merit in doing that.....
NASCAR set their gauges up that way.
A quick glance let's you know when
something ain't right.
Was just giving POMONAMISSEL a
hard time.

that tube chassi is a 27 t ford glass body fender less . funny thing is it was a 66 sat at one time , lol . i craved it to thin and ended up scrapping that body , wanted to stay light so the 27 ford roaster was born with a mopar heart and drive train . found some headers for it just a few months ago . took a pic but these a bunch of stuff in the way .

DSC03420.JPG

DSC03427.JPG

DSC03431.JPG

DSC03435.JPG

DSC03403.JPG

DSC03984.JPG

DSC03440.JPG

DSC03441.JPG

DSC03442.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back