• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I get a new fender tag for a 71 Roadrunner when i don't have the build sheet?

70b5bluerunner

Local time
8:39 PM
Reaction score
I am looking at a no.s matching car with no fender tag or B/S. Any ideas out there? The price is reasonable but I don't know how this effects the value. Thanks.

Trim tags. Google it. Let the crap storm begin about replacement tags..... Good luck. You will need it. Spook

I am looking at a no.s matching car with no fender tag or B/S. Any ideas out there? The price is reasonable but I don't know how this effects the value. Thanks.

1) without the original tag or at least a BS you will never come close to knowing what was on the tag.
2) you will pay a lot of money for a, probably, bad tag. Trim Tags made tags are far from accurate.
3) bad tags make cars suspect. Sometimes it is better to have no tag than a bad tag. Bad tags raise questions you don't want raised.
4) if you have to have a tag just to fill the hole on the fender, at least do something fun and use a C body station wagon or four door Valiant tag. That will raise some eyebrows and be more amusing to you than a badly made reproduction.
5) have a custom made tag that will never be confused as an original or bad reproduction.

Yea, I thought that's what I would be told. It's a shame because this is an original car with minimal outer rust and original paint and stripes. I am afraid to buy it because of it's resale value. The tag doesn't mean much to me. Could there be another b/s somewhere? Is there any way of finding out the option list from the vin?

There is no way to verify how it was originally optioned w/o a build sheet or fender tag. Tell the seller to check his tool box really thoroughly if he had it at one time.

If you are concerned with "value" then continue shopping. There will always be a smaller pool of buyers for this car.

You said that the price is reasonable. Are you thinking of buying it and putting it away as an investment? If so, keep looking. Or, do you want to buy it to drive it and have a classic car to show off? If that's the case, buy it for the best price you can negotiate and don't worry about the resale value. IMO, it's very easy to get hung up on "numbers matching" and originality; fine for cars that are rare or being restored for show duty and pleasant Sunday afternoon drives, but not really necessary for cars that are going to be driven often.

Sometimes behind the glove box or under the carpet there will be another BS. Might even be one under the console.

[QUOTadvicehair;910188352]There is no way to verify how it was originally optioned w/o a build sheet or fender tag. Tell the seller to check his tool box really thoroughly if he had it at one time.

If you are concerned with "value" then continue shopping. There will always be a smaller pool of buyers for this car.[/QUOTE]

Good advice. If a fender tag is a deal breaker, move on. There are plenty of cars out there.

My wagon's tag rusted away.

I'll be putting the tag from a Shelby Daytona in it's place :)

Wish I had grabbed the tags from the last AHB Diplomat cop car I saw in a JY.

Had the same trouble on a 69 RT/SE shell, When I first looked at it nice, dry, straight, with all the right parts still there, Went back about a month later and the tag was gone. So I went home empty handed.

Auto Transport Service
Back