• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How I sealed 4 bolt big block valve covers...finally!

coloradodave

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Here's what finally worked for me to get a tight, leak free seal:
1) Buy 2 sets of Fel-Pro 4 bolt cork gaskets. (Rockauto.com is cheapest I've found) You can also buy the 6 bolt gaskets and trim off the 2 holes not used.
2) Using black RTV silicone SPARINGLY, glue 2 gaskets together, so that you've doubled the thickness.Place a flat board on top of these and let them sit for a few hours.
3) Using black RTV silicone SPARINGLY, glue the doubled up gasket to the surgically clean valve covers.
4) Wipe down the sealing lips of the heads with acetone until there is absolutely NO oil on them.
5) Using black RTV silicone, apply a THIN bead to the lip of the heads. I then use a finger to smooth this bead flat. A minimum thickness works best and is easiest to remove down the road.
6) You'll need bolts or studs that are approximately 3/16" to 1/4" longer than stock. If using bolts, maske sure they won't bottom out in the holes.
7) Set the covers on the heads and try not to move them around. Using a nut driver, gently tighten the fasteners down until the bolts or nuts contact the covers. THEN STOP!!!
8) Wait a few hours and then tighten them again with the nut driver or a 1/4" ratchet, holding the ratchet near the ratchet head so that you can't apply much torque. You want the fasteners only hand tight.
9) Let it sit overnight without starting it. After you run it up to operating temperature for the first time, let it cool and take it a little tighter, maybe 1/2 a turn. If you experience any leaks, gently take another 1/2 turn.
Using this procedure is a hassle, but since doing it this way I've not had any leaks. I'm sure others have had success with different procedures, but I was asked, and decided to share.
Fel-Pro 4 bolt #VS11703C $10.67 a pair at Rock Auto
Fel-Pro 6 bolt #VS13379 $5.53 a pair at Rock Auto (on closeout)

Last edited:
The four bolt are the hardest to seal. Sounds like you have it under control :thumbsup:

I have a used set of Cal Customs six bolt. I just installed them with the Felpro thick black gaskets and a coating of Copper Coat. Well working on other things on the engine, I noticed a gap between the gasket and head. (before first startup). I could run a feeler guage under the gasket. The covers sat flat on a flat surface so I'm not sure why the gap.

To correct this, I took them back off, cleaned the covers, gaskets and heads with lacquer thinner. Then I used 3M black contact cement to glue the gaskets to the covers. Then I used Permatex gasket maker, (the black) and applied a bead to the gasket. Says in the directions to go ahead and set the covers in place and install the hardware. Then after an hour you can lightly tighten.

Well that Permatex gasket maker is some good stuff. Filled the gaps and sealed the covers perfectly. I'm not sure how much silicone it has in it if any. It doesn't act like silicone and doesn't look like it when it's dry.

Sounds real similar to what you did Dave.

002.JPG
002.JPG
I went thru th
cgt-c5983_xl.jpg
e same thing with these stage 2 max heads..i took a set of moroso 93055's and cut off the xtra 2 holes and used sealer..1 I had to do twice..and used hold down extension's on the lower bolts..

I see cometic is making VC gaskets with 2 beads of silicone all the way around..wonder how they would do on these OEM heads with natural unmachined sealing edge..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cgt-c5983

Instead of rtv next time chrysler 4318083. Or loctite 518 both of these products like heat and very good to hold up. I use it to glue heavy duty gear cases together. Just a thought

View attachment 586463 View attachment 586463 I went thru thView attachment 586462 e same thing with these stage 2 max heads..i took a set of moroso 93055's and cut off the xtra 2 holes and used sealer..1 I had to do twice..and used hold down extension's on the lower bolts..

I see cometic is making VC gaskets with 2 beads of silicone all the way around..wonder how they would do on these OEM heads with natural unmachined sealing edge..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cgt-c5983

I believe the Cometics, like the SBCs are being made to seal on the flat, wide rails of aluminum heads. I see we both fabbed similar hold-down spreaders...great minds think alike. lol
DSCN0661.JPG

Instead of rtv next time chrysler 4318083. Or loctite 518 both of these products like heat and very good to hold up. I use it to glue heavy duty gear cases together. Just a thought

Both of these fine products are made for metal to metal sealing. In my case, I need the height of the gaskets for rocker arm clearance. Thanks for the info.

Auto Transport Service
Back