• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long should I wait?

BeepBeepRR

Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
Ok so the question is how long should I wait before doing something with my neighbors car parts.

Situation. He sold his house and asked me if he could put his rebuilt 360,trans and other assorted barracuda parts at my house because he expected me to put his 68 fastback back together. Which I have no intention of getting into that basket case. Anyhow I allowed him to load up my trailer with junk. Half of the stuff isnt worth putting on a car let alone keeping. I have tried multiple times to contact him with no response. I want this **** out of my yard. The engine is sitting on a pallet under a tarp as well as a carport shed. I also have a hood and several other large items in my shed taking up my space.

Trying to be a nice guy and help the dude out when he was in a bind. He moved to Tennessee and now im stuck with his pile of barracuda parts in my yard. I told him I could not put all of this stuff in my shed. And he knew it was going to be in the weather. Anyhow how long before i sell or give this **** away?

You should be checking with your local law enforcement about this as it could lead to legal hassles if you just trash it. Good Luck

Possession is 9/10’s of the law.

You should be checking with your local law enforcement about this as it could lead to legal hassles if you just trash it. Good Luck
I have had the stuff here for at least 3 months if not more. I will check with the local marshal.

I left them messages to their last known good numbers. And I have gotten no replies. I lied a little on this message but... I'm not selling my house just thought it would encourage him to come get this ****.

2C2A7800-0077-4C58-A0A6-C05820972D9F.png

Write a letter, stipulating that you are in possession of his goods temporarily as agreed, with a 60-day notice that all items must be removed by that date by him, or at his expense. If not, all such goods shall be considered abandoned, and you reserve the right, at that time, to sell and/or dispose of said goods. Send the letter registered, return receipt.

I agree with getting legal advice on the Matter.
whether it be law enforcement or a lawyer who knows your state laws regarding this situation.

It's obvious at least to me, that he has no intention of getting his parts. Time to either sell it all or cart it off to the junk yard. It's too damned bad for him as there has been no reply back to your queries from him...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I'd write the letter and do the return receipt thing.

If it comes back unaccepted, that's almost a waiver of responsibility and/or claim.

Are you sure you have the correct address?

I'd personally give 90 days.

Should I assume you were not the best of friends? I'd give a friend a LOT longer than that, but it sucks for both of you that they are not responding to you.

How many miles away did they move?

It's obvious at least to me, that he has no intention of getting his parts. Time to either sell it all or cart it off to the junk yard. It's too damned bad for him as there has been no reply back to your queries from him...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
I agree.
Some people will take advantage of your generosity partly because the "favor" is out of their line of sight. The guy may or may not value you as a friend but ignoring calls sure doesn't bode well.
I've been the guy in my circle of friends that has room to store stuff. As a favor, I have stored cars and parts for some friends. Yes, in some instances they have taken advantage and I've had to remind them that I'm growing tired of doing it.
Some members here are FAR TOO POLITE. The "friend" has used up all of his chances and good will.
I say sell the stuff and reclaim your trailer. You have waited long enough. No more warnings, just do it. If he was a better friend, he would have responded long before now.

As of right now I have a few items here that do not belong to me. Again being Mr.Niceguy One is a half built 383 The bottom end is done but he is missing everything else. I have a 440 that needs a cam and lifters but also needs to be torn down and cleaned out. Then I have all of this guys junk. I have a Trans AM in my garage that is a basket case but Im slowly chipping away at fixing the issues with it and I hope to have it gone by this weekend. Then the Road Runner can go in my garage. Which is not mine either but I have my own set of keys to it. Sooo basically i can drive it whenever I want. I don't mind that so much. But hell I have a half acre lot and a 1250 square foot house. So I'm running out of room.

If you don't have a good address send the letter to his old address. If he left a change of address with the post office it will go to him. Make him sign for it too so you know he actually got it. 3 months is more than enough to say he's not coming back for his stuff.

Oh man, been down that road and more than once! Narrowed a D60 for a guy years ago and once it was finished, I called and he said he would be here to get it this weekend. Well, that weekend past by and so did many others and after talking to him and telling him I just didn't have the room in my shop to store stuff he again said "I'll be over this weekend to get it" which didn't happen. Swap meet time came and loaded it on the truck and off we went. He just happened to be there too and walked up on my vendor spot 15 freaking seconds after I sold it lol. He asked me if that was his 60 and I just said 'was' lol. He wasn't happy but asked him if he needed anything that was there and he said sure. I got rid of some parts and had money in my pocket and we were both happy. He never asked me to do anymore work for him though which was fine with me!

Another time involved a 440 that the owner of a wrecking yard wanted me to tear down after his son built it and oil pressure was way low. After pulling the pump and seeing it looked ok, found all the bearings upside down and a blackened crank but when I called him about it, he just said ok and thanks. Called him 30 days later and asked what he wanted to do with it and well....don't recall the exact words but sold what was good and never heard from him again.

And yeah, trying to help others can be bitter sweet and try not to help store stuff unless there's excess room here and that's not very often. Right now, there's lots of room in the house that's vacant but one 'spare' room is filling up with my storage junk :D

If you send him a letter keep a copy and send it registered mail with sighed receipt requested. Can't say he didn't get it. I'd put in if he doesn't pick his sheet it will be disposed 30 day from the time he received your letter.

Last edited:
Does the ex neighbour have a written receipt from you for the parts he left with you? I mean, if you disposed of them, can he prove that they were even on your property in the first place?

Did he leave the Barracuda there also? As was stated above, get legal advice and then write a certified letter with return receipt. If its been over 3 months and your not getting any return phone calls or messages, its time to move on.

Marsha probably isn't relaying your message because she doesn't want that crap at her new house. Now, about that '68 fastback...:)

Anyway, go to your local post office and get his forwarding address. As suggested by someone above, send him a registered letter and go from there.

In a situation like this, always expect things to go wrong. That's why you need to cover yourself. You originally had a verbal agreement to store his goods *temporarily*. Fine. Now, you put him on notice that he must take action, and is fully aware of the consequences should he not do so. Now, the onus is on him, and absolves you of any responsibility of the failure to do so on his part.

Write a letter, stipulating that you are in possession of his goods temporarily as agreed, with a 60-day notice that all items must be removed by that date by him, or at his expense. If not, all such goods shall be considered abandoned, and you reserve the right, at that time, to sell and/or dispose of said goods. Send the letter registered, return receipt.
And don't forget to keep a copy of that
letter for yourself, and it may be a good
idea to have it notarized. Things can
get sticky if you're dumping items
with serial/vin numbers stamped
on them and he has proof of ownership.

Auto Transport Service
Back