• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many new vehicles have you bought?

Funny story - I was riding my bicycle one day and spotted the '50 Ford Club Coupe for sale in a driveway. Didn't quitee have my license yet. It was a V8 car with overdrive. Baby blue with a perfect interior, with dual glasspacks and wide whites. Pretty damned car! Seller wanted $500 for it, and in my youthful exurburance, I said "Sold!" I rode like hell home and dug into my "car fund", which had about $600 in it (I was 15), and that was a fortune in the mid-'70s. Rode like hell back to the car. Gave him the money, got the title, loaded my bike up and drove that puppy home!

I unloaded my bike and then did what any kid does with a "new" car - wash it! I had finished the job when a guy pulled into the driveway..."wanna sell that old Ford?" I forgot to remove the For Sale sign. I said "Sure, I'll take $1,800 for it!!" He hemmed and hawwed and shot me $1,200 as a counter. Nope! After a few minutes, I asked the guy "how much do you have on you right now?" He pulls out some hundreds and fifties and counts. "I've got $1,500 on me right now." I stalled for couple of seconds and said "well, OK, I'll take it!". So, his son was with him. The man got in the Ford, his boy followed him out, and I made a grand in minutes.

Just after the guy drove off, my Dad pulled in the driveway, and asked "Who was that?" Told him what I did, and he said "I had that car's very twin in 1954! Kinda wished you'd kept it for a few more minutes!" He congratulated me on my fine business acumen. I was pretty proud of myself!
Sometimes you just get lucky! Back in 1978 I followed a friend home so he could show me the car he had just bought. It was a 1963 Ford Galaxie that he got for $60 so he thought he could flip it for a few dollars. It was in good shape and the 360 big block ran just fine. Sitting inside, I looked around, opened the glove box and lifted the floor mats to see how it all looked. Under the passenger floor mat were five $20 bills. His $60 car came with more money inside it than he had paid!

I never bought a new car. My newest car is a SPD 516 ‘70 Charger.

When I was 13 I found a 51 Ford 2dr sedan for 50 bucks. Running but the flathead V8 was smoking and the interior was shot but the body was perfect and dad said he wasn't gonna have no junk Fords sitting out in front of his house. He hated Fords because they hated him lol. Couldn't find anyone that would keep it for me. Had to do that with a go cart once too. Already had it but kept riding it on the streets and dad took a sledge hammer to the motor. All he did though was drive the spark plug through the head and I had it running the very next day :D I'm glad the piston was down at the bottom when he did that.
Yea,
The good old days. Today your Dad would be arrested for domestic violence. And damaging your property.

2...2004 3500 ram long bed 4 door...245K miles still have it..and a 2021 grand cherokee and that will be the last new car for me

A whopping 2. Most of my drivers I’ve bought with 15-20k on them.

I've never had a new car. But my wife bought a new 1991 Plymouth Laser. She still has it.
upload_2021-9-2_23-26-54.png

Not cars around here...just cats (catalytic converters). HUGE run on them lately. Glad all mine are either a) too old to have 'em, or b) diesels :D
Diesels have them now....

My wife OTOH, has bought three new cars.

1994 s-10 ext cab v6 5 speed (before we met...fun truck- good girl!)

2004 hyundai elantra (she ran that until it wasn't worth $500- good girl!)

2020 hyundai kona (last years model at a great price right before the pandemic price skyrocket- good girl!)

After reading this thread I should have been buying used cars. My 2021 goes into the dealer for airbag light and a funky transmission thing on Tuesday.

Auto Transport Service
Back