• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many Pennie’s do you have for a rainy day ?

Charles Cook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
How many pennies have you guys stashed over the years ?
0958B30E-D8B4-41A1-B2C0-A395890E9713.jpeg

All Wheat cents. I still have about 20,000 to sift through.

IMG_2299.jpg
IMG_2300.jpg

Yikes, no wonder the Fed is complaining about a coin shortage.

Coins are my other hobby when I get pissed at cars.
I collected silver coins at one time, they are scarcer now a days. Every now and then I’ll run across a younger person that just want’s to sell.

Last edited:
I found a standing liberty quarter in our front yard when I was like 12 with a cheap metal detector I got for my birthday. I was hooked cause that coin was so cool and it made me think about all the people that had it in their pocket. Got a 1794 large cent I bought a few years ago. George Washington or Ben Franklin could have had it in their pocket. Kinda cool to think about.

Parents were in dry cleaning business. We always checked pockets a Cheshire Academy student left a 1792 half cent in his pocket. Normally we;d keep change unless it dollars worth. Returned it. Once they found $300, this was in early 60's customer was really happy.

Edit: Had 1972 half cent corrected to 1792.

Last edited:
When I picked up a 1/2 a dime I thought that was the coolest coin I had ever seen. That was the bug for me. Now I have a pretty nice collection including a slave nickel. There was a black collector that was buy up the slave coins to take them out of circulation. So I was told when a guy tried to buy mine. Told him it was not for sale. Then he labeled me a racist. Oh well, I don’t pay that crap any attention at all. No time for that crap.

Pennies? Never see them in the real world here, Canada stopped minting them ten years ago and pulled them out of circulation.

When I picked up a 1/2 a dime I thought that was the coolest coin I had ever seen. That was the bug for me. Now I have a pretty nice collection including a slave nickel. There was a black collector that was buy up the slave coins to take them out of circulation. So I was told when a guy tried to buy mine. Told him it was not for sale. Then he labeled me a racist. Oh well, I don’t pay that crap any attention at all. No time for that crap.
You forget my friend - if you’re a white male you are deemed racist no matter what the case These days.

I don’t keep any coins never have - save a stack of 19aughts silver dollars. I’ve had them for 40 years - no real reason. And yes my father gave each of his children a minted set of Kennedy half dollars when they came out maybe in the sixties. I just want enough to conclude my life and make sure my wife is taken care of afterwards.

Not all pennies but it is for a Rainy day (gas for our tour around the country). Last time it was this full there was about a $1000 in it. We did hand roll it all looking for some rare coins. We will do the same this time around.

IMG_6494.jpg

Pennies? Never see them in the real world here, Canada stopped minting them ten years ago and pulled them out of circulation.
We lost our 1, 2 cent coins back in 1990, and the 5 cent in 2006...due to it being worth bugger all.

We also lost our $1 and $2 bills back in 1991.

I collected coins when I was a kid, and amassed quite a nice collection....found a few nice ones, but the real value is in coins that are usually priced just out of reach.
Silver content pre-decimal coins are very scarce now - most went to scrap metal.

I know it's not a penny....but I found this on my change a couple of weeks back....special limited release to celebrate 100 years of Armistice Day

20220620_190420.jpg

20220620_190432.jpg

How many pennies have you guys stashed over the years ? View attachment 1301437
I had two of those, one for, nickels, dimes and quarters and the other for pennies. I quit when I needed a dolly to move them. I still have one for all change, but I now pay with plastic, very little change anymore. I still have many old coins, stamps from Germany from the 30's and 40's with Hitlers face on them. When I moved this last time I picked people with these interests and gave away most of it. I've made a lot of people happy on my way to down sizing.

It's easy to estimate, depending on whether they're mostly newer copper covered zinc pennies or older copper. If zinc, about 180 per pound and 145 in a pound of the old copper pennies. Throw that jug on a scale!

As they started to go out of circulation, I started 'collecting' various denominations of old style paper money. My fear is some young person will think the bills are counterfeit and not accept them as valid currency.

Got a 1794 large cent I bought a few years ago. George Washington or Ben Franklin could have had it in their pocket.

(FYI....Ben died in 1790 so him having that particular coin would be a little difficult.)

Auto Transport Service
Back