• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much does a 6-71 blower increase engine temps?

jayfire

Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
I have a brand new cold case 26” aluminum radiator with dual 12” electric fans with shroud. New hoses, water pump, 185* thermostat. Straight distilled water with Royal Purple Water Wetter. Aluminum heads on a 426 hemi and 6-71 supercharger. Driving for 15 minutes at 9am in Hell (Arizona) it got up to about 210-215. Both fans were on. Does a blower add that much heat? It’s 12% overdriven with about 6 psi boost at 4500 rpm’s. Holley Sniper EFI with Hyperspark controlling timing. Running about 95-97 octane. Any recommendations on how to get that temp to come down some? Plan on moving in the next year or so to a cooler climate, so that may help then. Thanks

Mine has always been the hottest motor I've ever owned. @15 wouldn't bother me at all.
Doug

I live in Fort Mohave, we get to 125ish in the summer. I tried 3 different electric fan combinations. 1 homemade using Ford Contour fans and homemade aluminum shroud, this cooled the best while stopped and up to 40mph. After that, temps got over 225 n were climbing. Tried a company called Entropy w dual 12" Spal fans and shroud. Again, did ok stopped and up to about 35-40 and then same as other. 3rd was a molded plastic shroud that had curves instead of a flat face and dual 12" fans, same results. W a 19" mechanical fan and factory shroud, no issues at all. As a matter of fact, at highway speeds, it runs around 176 in the summer and cools very well in stop n go even w a/c. My reasoning for this is 2 fold, the opening in the factory shroud is about 21", and has 343 sq/in of opening for air to flow through. Two 12" openings have 226 sq/in total opening. The 2nd part is that the aluminum shrouds are flat and cause an unusually high high-pressure zone which pushes back against the incoming air as apposed to the curving shape of the factory shroud and its large opening. I have played w the idea of trying a Delta PAG 18" electric fan. Over 4k cfm. I would want to find a way to mount it inside a factory shroud though. But they are also pretty pricey.

I live in Fort Mohave, we get to 125ish in the summer. I tried 3 different electric fan combinations. 1 homemade using Ford Contour fans and homemade aluminum shroud, this cooled the best while stopped and up to 40mph. After that, temps got over 225 n were climbing. Tried a company called Entropy w dual 12" Spal fans and shroud. Again, did ok stopped and up to about 35-40 and then same as other. 3rd was a molded plastic shroud that had curves instead of a flat face and dual 12" fans, same results. W a 19" mechanical fan and factory shroud, no issues at all. As a matter of fact, at highway speeds, it runs around 176 in the summer and cools very well in stop n go even w a/c. My reasoning for this is 2 fold, the opening in the factory shroud is about 21", and has 343 sq/in of opening for air to flow through. Two 12" openings have 226 sq/in total opening. The 2nd part is that the aluminum shrouds are flat and cause an unusually high high-pressure zone which pushes back against the incoming air as apposed to the curving shape of the factory shroud and its large opening. I have played w the idea of trying a Delta PAG 18" electric fan. Over 4k cfm. I would want to find a way to mount it inside a factory shroud though. But they are also pretty pricey.
I’m in Bullhead, so we are neighbors! Maybe I will look into a factory shroud and mechanical fan after I finish having it tuned. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back