• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old is too old?

Moms68

Local time
8:56 PM
Reaction score
At what point, are we too old to build a car? Assuming decent health and most of your faculties, at what age is it not a good to start a big project? I guess I’m starting to second guess myself and I’m not liking that thought entering my head.

At what point, are we too old to build a car? Assuming decent health and most of your faculties, at what age is it not a good to start a big project? I guess I’m starting to second guess myself and I’m not liking that thought entering my head.
I am 67 and just started two cars. Maybe my last two don't know. But as long as you are healthy and can get around OK, I think building a car is the best therapy in the world to keep you young. My goal is die healthy. So, I want to enjoy my time whatever is left and don't want to sit and watch TV until it happens. And if I die before they are done screw it the kids can sell them for something.

I may have 1 more in me at 63
I'm still not finished with the current car, I got in Dec. 2005
I was doing 2 at once & A4 Silver & LL1 Turquoise both RM23 RRs
sold the 1st Silver car after it was finally done, tuned to perfection
car was really fast too, but more of a race car
I've had way more issues with my current RR project,
& I changed my direction/build styles, that I was going with it
more of a street beast now
& I had sort of lost interest in it, after 'paint' problems
been gaining steam again...

I don't have the shop or room I once did now either
or a lift or room for a lift
But;
I think I get bored more than anything now
never really thought that way before &
then want to move on, do something/build something else

Now I'm not even sure I want to do that
prices are freaken' crazy, seems many people,
all mostly think now
"their old rusty used worn parts are worth gold prices"
no, they aren't
so I have to go the aftermarket re-pop parts route,
instead of mostly stock parts
I refuse to comply to that shitshow-stuff, of gouging, a fellow car guy...

OK my venting is over :soapbox:

I’m late 60’s and redid my Dakota year and a half ago. Not a major resto as I’ve done in the past; but clean box, new fenders, bumper, some frame blasting, struts, etc. Used more lifting equipment than I used to and getting help when available…telling myself “Leave it and wait when help is available”. Before I’d just lift stuff when I should have taken time to use the lift. Since then, 3 surgeries CTS and a 2nd neck fusion. Still doing a good amount of stuff; but doing much overhead work is painful. Just took out the garbage disposal today, and installed a new faucet, JUST the kind of work I’ll likely be less able to do sooner than later. All the under-dash stuff, kind a limited now; but likely won't stop me unless one of the 10 screws in my neck pops out. My dad was pretty capable until around 80. I doubt I’ll last that long. I know several guys my age who have old injuries/surgeries like mine that are coming back to haunt them; but keep plugging away. Sitting around during my recovery was – painful.

At what point, are we too old to build a car?
When it no longer brings you joy.

My projects are for my enjoyment, learning new skills, attacking new challenges, testing my abilities. Finishing them is a bonus, but not always the true goal for me, (and are they really ever finished...). Having projects can give life a purpose, a meaning to your day, and can sometimes build a legacy or a collection of memories to pass along to someone when your gone...

I'm trying to work on things that my family might want to keep for themselves or could be easily sold to fund their dreams.

And I'm trying very hard not to leave a big mess for them to have to clean up.

trying very hard not to leave a big mess for them to have to clean up.
Me as well. Been working on it here and there for a few years. Yet, doesn't look like I did squat. Come back from Goodwill, scrap recycler, sell a few things - and I look around the garage and basement shop and looks like there's more **** than when I left. My God, someone has to be sneaking in dumping more **** here when I'm not looking..

Depends how much pain you can handle at the end of each day.. LOL
I have gotta agree with that.
Your body in old age is gonna be telling you how much, what, and what not you can do.
Hows your health? Got many aches and pains? How much stamina you got left in you? You gonna be hurting at the end of the day?
I hit 70 in January, and i have a bad back, along with a host of other internal medical issues.
It's no longer easy getting back up, after bending over, kneeling down, or slithering under a car on my back, or a creeper is a no, no.
I ain't a 20 something kid anymore. Old age gets you fast.
hemi71x

I am 66 and I have about 8 projects in the que. I don't feel or look my age. I work my day job and get in the garage every waking minute I can that wife or kid or dog doesn't need me.
I agree with many that say it brings enjoyment, keeps your mind focused and busy, and keeps you young. Younger guys have issues keeping up with me when I'm focused on a task. I hope I have a whole bunch more in me.

I will be 76 in a couple of months. I am finishing up the restoration of my 1964 Polara. Currently doing all the underdash stuff of installing aftermarket A/C. Still have to install steering column, front carpets and power seat. I hope to have this on the road this summer. Double knee replacement slows me down a bit. My brain tells me I am younger than my body does. LOL

just turned 62. I currently have 5 cars to finish. I just installed a newer 2 post lift. If I didn’t have it I wouldn’t be doing them. Always looking for 1 more to buy. I try to buy cars now that don’t need bodywork or paint. A lot cars I buy aren’t safe to drive or run terribly. My last car I bought is a 1958 fuel injection corvette. Took 40 years to buy it off a friend. Always wanted a early corvette He had it painted and new interior and let it sit for 40 years working on it to make it road ready

857F3E83-F495-4DFE-A70E-D3388F9F9842.jpeg

just turned 62. I currently have 5 cars to finish. I just installed a newer 2 post lift. If I didn’t have it I wouldn’t be doing them. Always looking for 1 more to buy. I try to buy cars now that don’t need bodywork or paint. A lot cars I buy aren’t safe to drive or run terribly. My last car I bought is a 1958 fuel injection corvette. Took 40 years to buy it off a friend. Always wanted a early corvette He had it painted and new interior and let it sit for 40 years working on it to make it road ready

View attachment 1456302
I did a ‘58 body off resto, and still have it. Very familiar with that year Vette. Panama yellow is my favorite

Well I'm 60 and still bust *** as a flat rate mechanic 45 hours a week so to me it gets harder and harder to work on my own stuff. I hit a personal goal when I built my Savoy into a ten second street car but now I'm detuning it for a still fast street brawler. I had to finish my father-in-law's 68 Vette after he passed and it was brutal having to go over and work on it in his garage. He had a 49 Merc that he was starting to build but I ended up selling in a basket.
So this time when it's back together I'm not taking apart again so it's easier to sell when I'm gone.

Gus

Dad is 82 and building a 30 Chrysler coupe hot rod
It will be his last project
It is yard driving with brakes
He is just sorting out the wires for lights and turn signals has him bogged down
He does some them stops for a while then forgets were he left off and has to trace things out to figure out where he is going again
It gives him something to think about becaucause it is getting harder to get down and back up again and gets a little soar if standing on the cement shop floor after a while

My hand strength is fading at 66 1/2. I've never had particularly strong hands anyway. Dammit Jim, I'm an artist, not an auto mechanic. I have been an artist my whole life. I'm working on a desert landscape painting I should have done in a week. I'll show it when it's done

The correct answer to the OP's question is, of course - "it depends".
Physical (and mental, too!) situations are different for every humanoid for a myriad of reasons, after all.
I'm "only" 61 but y'all know the train wreck of afflictions beset upon me in the last decade, so I'm no
one to speak of "how old is too old" for sure.

It's sort of like with cars themselves - oftentimes, condition is a result of mileage, not model year.

I've often written here about the journey to get Fred the GTX to some manner of "finished" status, all
the while racing the clock, literally - and yes, that overwhelming drive not to leave a mess when I go,
having experienced that with my own dad's passing.
And...I made it, thank God. :praying:

Further, my wife and I have had so many discussions about my wishes for after I'm toast that there's no
need for them anymore - things just are, now - and I've had to learn how to wrap things up and just piddle
with this or that small project, not wanting to begin anything I won't be here to see through.
That all sounds negative or even depressing, I realize - but trust me, it isn't.
It's sort of liberating actually - knowing I got done what needed to be done and there's no pressure, internal
or otherwise, to keep grinding away at it anymore.

Would I love to start another carproject, though?
Hell yes, given the financial ability, you bet I would - but it's ok that I don't.
It's the responsible thing that I don't...it sort of would undo a lot of my recent past efforts, really.
I can live vicariously through you guys and the wonderful work you do to your own cars in order to somewhat
stay engaged, all the same. :thumbsup:

I'm 70 and just started another Challenger in October. I was doing very well on progress until a guy ran a red light in a Jeep Gladiator at 35+ mph and t-boned my wife's 4Runner in the passenger's door. Guess where I was sitting. That door got pushed in 4 inches and it totaled out her SUV. I saw it coming and unfortunately braced for it. I now have right knee problems, hip problem and neck problems from whiplash. I'm still working on the Challenger, just at a slower pace while going through physical therapy and chiropractic care.. I still enjoy working on it. I have another 74 Charger waiting for its turn but I'll have to see how things work out.
Terry W.

Auto Transport Service
Back