• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Change Over To A Woodgrain Rally Dash In A 70 B Body?

soundhd

Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 70 RR with a Black Rally Dash. Been looking into replacing the black dash with a woodgrain one. At first looking at the reproduction catalogs I thought they were readly available now I realized that the wood grain "dashes" offered are just the woodgrain surface replacement kits not the whole dash bezel kit. Does anyone know of anywhere that sells the whole woodgrain rally dash bezel kits new or will I have to search for a used one? I see in one repro catalog that they offer what they call "Woodgrain Kits' which are the cluster facia that must be attached to the original instrument cluster bezel and then they also offer the woodgrain insert kits which are for replacing the original woodgrain inserts. I assume the "cluster facia kit" can be used to convert a black rally dash over to a wood grain type? Sorry for all the questions but just trying to understand it all.

Thanks
a mopar newbie in Michigan

View attachment 119723View attachment 119724View attachment 119721View attachment 119725View attachment 119722You can modify your dash Black plastic pieces to accept the woodgrain or you can buy everything from BE+A but it is very expensive and his woodgrain is really too light for a 70 and when I spoke to Mike about it he was like "everyone seems to like it ".
I bought the woodgrain pieces from him and returned them because the color of the wood is way off.
Even though my original pieces aren't perfect and have "GREENED" a little I reused them instead.

How does one "modify" black dash pieces to accept the wood grain panels? I assume you are talking about the wood grain dash panel kits vs the "insert" kits. I assume the insert kits are for the dash panels that are originally wood grain?

View attachment 119723View attachment 119724View attachment 119721View attachment 119725View attachment 119722You can modify your dash Black plastic pieces to accept the woodgrain or you can buy everything from BE+A but it is very expensive and his woodgrain is really too light for a 70 and when I spoke to Mike about it he was like "everyone seems to like it ".
I bought the woodgrain pieces from him and returned them because the color of the wood is way off.
Even though my original pieces aren't perfect and have "GREENED" a little I reused them instead.

The woodgrain is on a metal backing. That backing has small tabs that go though the plastic bezels and folded over.
So if your adding woodgrain to your bezels you have to cut/dremell small slots into the plastic bezel for the tabs to go though.
I don't have pictures of the backside but if you search around enough on the net you'll probably find a picture.
Ron

What about double side tape or a tjin layer of rtv?

Cut the slots, they won't fall off that way.

Ok, then how about adhesive trim spray?

Just offering idea's instead of the "cut/dremel" you mentioned.

I see what you are talking about with the new wood grain panels being a different shade......here's another question.......I have to also replace the wood grain console top panels....both are in pretty bad shape..........do the new console top panels match the new dash panels?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree........looking at the black rally dash in my 70 RR it has a very large grainy surface......would take a very thick adhesive to properly work........I know there are better adhesives out there not but the tabs must be there for a reason........I am surprised that no one makes a woodgrain dash panel.......they have the molds to make the black ones...how hard can it be to make a smooth surface dash bezel and attach the wood grain to it.........

I gotta ask Why Re-engineer something that works since the late 60's???

- - - Updated - - -

Next question..........has anyone changed over to a woodgrain dash using one of the newer panel kits?........if so how does it look? Does it have that "oh you can tell it's a aftermarket kit added to it look"? or does it fit nice and tight and looks like a factory dash (at least for the fit anyway......)

thanks

Just checking here soundhd.. are you aware that the woodgrain dash was not available in the 70 RR? It's cool if you want to change it but thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.

View attachment 119868View attachment 119869View attachment 119870
Just checking here soundhd.. are you aware that the woodgrain dash was not available in the 70 RR? It's cool if you want to change it but thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.

I didn't bring that up myself because he seems to want the upgrade.
But if it were me with a Road Runner I would just freshen up the gauges and the plastic chrome if need and call it a day.
The Black background is real nice when fresh.
Here's a picture of my old 69 Coronet Rally Dash after I redid it.

As far as the console the woodgrain is easy to redo with a little work and NEVER perfectly matched the woodgrain dash so don't worry about that aspect.
Ron

I didn't bring that up myself because he seems to want the upgrade.
But if it were me with a Road Runner I would just freshen up the gauges and the plastic chrome if need and call it a day.
The Black background is real nice when fresh.
Here's a picture of my old 69 Coronet Rally Dash after I redid it.
As far as the console the woodgrain is easy to redo with a little work and NEVER perfectly matched the woodgrain dash so don't worry about that aspect.
Ron

That is absolutely stunning Ron!

Yeah I only mentioned it in case he didn't know since he proclaimed himself a newb and was asking for help .. would rather run the risk of pissing some forum members off than have a guy make a change and regret it when he didn't know ... although he may. Not passing judgement peeps.

Yeah I only mentioned it in case he didn't know since he proclaimed himself a newb and was asking for help .. would rather run the risk of pissing some forum members off than have a guy make a change and regret it when he didn't know ... although he may. Not passing judgement peeps.

Thanks man!

Yes, thanks for asking.......just want to give the interior a little class I guess........interior is a little sparse.......a wood grain dash would break it up a bit..........thanks again

Auto Transport Service
Back