• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to determine what size throttle return spring

OH71RRunner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
How do you determine what size throttle return spring?

440 six barrel. I'm trying to figure out what throttle return spring(s) I need to use. I had a purple spring and a small silver one from a universal kit. Had went for a drive, peddle felt firm and seemed to be right. When I hit 2nd gear, normally the tires would bark loudly. This time, the outboards kicked in at just the right time and tires started spinning. Let off the pedal and it stayed spinning for a little longer. The springs weren't strong enough to pull the throttle closed.
Now, I've got a thicker yellow spring but the pedal is hard to push. It's a new spring. Will it loosen up? Do I need to try different ones?
Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated.

How do you determine what size throttle return spring?

440 six barrel. I'm trying to figure out what throttle return spring(s) I need to use. I had a purple spring and a small silver one from a universal kit. Had went for a drive, peddle felt firm and seemed to be right. When I hit 2nd gear, normally the tires would bark loudly. This time, the outboards kicked in at just the right time and tires started spinning. Let off the pedal and it stayed spinning for a little longer. The springs weren't strong enough to pull the throttle closed.
Now, I've got a thicker yellow spring but the pedal is hard to push. It's a new spring. Will it loosen up? Do I need to try different ones?
Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Its all feel as long as the carb returns to idel.

I'd used the factory spring for the Sixpack and if it doesn't work there might be something wrong with the linkage or a hanging throttle plate shaft. I've seen the Sixpack springs advertised everywhere.

Last edited:
I'd used the factory spring for the Sixpack and if it doesn't work right there might be something wrong with the linkage of a hanging throttle plate shaft. I've seen the Sixpack springs advertised everywhere.
You have this everything has to work perfect or it will bind. Besides our grandfathers figuerd this out.

This yellow spring is supposed to be the spring for a six pack. It's just really tight. Wasn't sure if it was stiff because it's new.

Don't buy ones that are stronger than needed, throttle shaft wear the carb body.

You may want the check the carb throttle plate to throttle bore clearance on your intake they are pretty close and have been know to bind up.

You may want the check the carb throttle plate to throttle bore clearance on your intake they are pretty close and have been know to bind up.
I'm pretty sure it's a spring issue. The other springs were softer and pedal was easy to press. It pulled the throttle back to idle but couldn't tell how well it would with the outboards opening until I drove it to open them up driving. Now it's hard to press with this spring. I've got the wrong spring on there. Gonna try the right spring and see if it helps.

Always dual springs for me but I'd spend some time lubricating the cable and playing with the routing. Cables don't like tight bends or any kinks, make sure it has a straight angle from the throttle shaft, makes long swooping turn instead of tight ones and that the pedal itself isn't causing any issues. I switched mine to a Lokar cable where I could play with the length.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's a spring issue. The other springs were softer and pedal was easy to press. It pulled the throttle back to idle but couldn't tell how well it would with the outboards opening until I drove it to open them up driving. Now it's hard to press with this spring. I've got the wrong spring on there. Gonna try the right spring and see if it helps.
A carburetor will snap shut with no cable attached, the springs overcome any tension caused by the pedal or drag in the cable so addressing them first will result in a softer spring.

A carburetor will snap shut with no cable attached, the springs overcome any tension caused by the pedal or drag in the cable so addressing them first will result in a softer spring.
With the car off everything moved like it was supposed to. Even manually opening the outboards, it would snap back. When I would drive it, the only time it wouldn't snap back was when the outboards would first open. If they have been open for at least a second they come back like normal. That second causes me panic if it's still running full throttle and needing to let off.

I will double check to feel for any hang ups or other snags.
Maybe it's the outboard carbs. Is it possible they could be coming in too fast or too slow and not closing properly when I want them to close?

You might check to make sure the fast idle cam is free on the post and not hanging on the cage around it.
How old are the outboard diaphragms?

Auto Transport Service
Back