• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to determine what size throttle return spring

I'll ask the obvious, so don't take it the wrong way. The driver side linkages are all connected and adjusted properly to assure the outboards close with the center, correct?

The carbs do want to stay open at WOT. The spring does need to overcome the pull created by the vacuum at the venturi. But usually this condition gets worse as WOT rpms increase.

Interested to hear what you find.

Last edited:
I'll ask the obvious, so don't take it the wrong way. The driver side linkages are all connected and adjusted properly to assure the outboards close with the center, correct?

The carbs do want to stay open at WOT. The spring does need to overcome the pull created by the vacuum at the venturi. But usually this condition gets worse as WOT rpms increase.

Interested to hear what you find.
No offense taken. Sometimes the obvious get overlooked. Everything seems fine when car is not running. No binding. The linkages, I believe, are set correctly. Everything closed when let go. And it felt smooth and crisp.

I got a new spring today. It feels better pressing the pedal. It has more tension than purple and silver combo but nowhere near as much as the other. Will probably get out to drive it next week sometime.

After I drive it, I'll update how things are.

No offense taken. Sometimes the obvious get overlooked. Everything seems fine when car is not running. No binding. The linkages, I believe, are set correctly. Everything closed when let go. And it felt smooth and crisp.

I got a new spring today. It feels better pressing the pedal. It has more tension than purple and silver combo but nowhere near as much as the other. Will probably get out to drive it next week sometime.

After I drive it, I'll update how things are.
please post description of your throttle spring(s) setup that you decide on. i'm trying to fine tune mine as well.

please post description of your throttle spring(s) setup that you decide on. i'm trying to fine tune mine as well.
I completely forgot about this thread.

I ended up getting the correct spring that is orange like was stated in post #8. The one I had was from a swap meet that was tagged for a six pack. It WAS NOT the correct spring. Ordered the correct one and everything worked as it should. Added a small silver spring as extra protection. It only adds a tiny bit of extra resistance at WOT.

Auto Transport Service
Back