• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to make a better home cooked hamburger ?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
I do have to apologize in case this is too dang boring of a topic.
In short, since retirement, I've taken on more of the household duties and lessened the load on the wife since she is still working.

I love hamburgers but for some reason, no matter how I season or cook mine, they lack the flavor of the ones we have had at sit down and fast food restaurants.
The meat tastes bland. I've tried different types of meat with "lean" count between 7% to 15%, I've salted, peppered, seasoned mixes and still the meat tastes bland.
I have taken to a quickie pan toasting of the buns to give them a bit of charred flavor like we did at Burger King, my first payroll job as a kid.
The problem though is the meat.....What am I missing?
The father in law has sometimes smeared mustard on his steaks when he has them on the bar-b-que. Have you tried that?
I've been to decent restaurants and been really impressed with their burgers and left wondering what the heck I'm doing wrong.
Suggestions?

Don't know if it's an option for you, but in our part of the world, my wife buys a platter of pre made patties called "Pub burgers", whatever they do to them gives them the taste your describing and she'll get 'em at 2 different chain stores so maybe grocer or meat market by you has some.

7% to 15%, what the heck I'm doing wrong.
Suggestions?
80/20 ground chuck is about the best. Make them big and don't over cook them. I like to smoke them on my Pit Boss and then reverse sear them. Best burger ever. Spices? Salt and some fresh cracked pepper works for me. (same as I use on my Brisket)

Last edited:
I am told that the higher fat count does mean more flavor.
I am not familiar with reverse searing.

Basically you smoke it to about 130° internal and then sear it like most of us start grilling one. The smoke will add flavor and the low heat will cook the meat until it's rare to medium rare. That is lower than the temp it takes to melt the fat in the meat. Think "keep the fat inside to make it tender and juicy". The sear at the end will seal the outside to keep the fat and moisture inside.

80/20 beef is best for burgers as recommended above. Too lean meat has little flavor and they dry out. I like to cook mine on the grill, either gas or charcoal. Usually gas because it's faster and easier. Salt and pepper before cooking. Sear 5 minutes per side on high heat with the lid open then close the lid for the last 5-10 minutes depending on the level of doneness desired - about 7-8 on my grill for medium rare to medium.

We also like frying them on the stove, but that makes a mess and stinks up the house.

We used to make our own patties from ground beef, but my wife has started buying pre-made Wagyu steak burgers that are really good.

80/20 beef is best for burgers as recommended above. Too lean meat has little flavor and they dry out. my wife has started buying pre-made Wagyu steak burgers that are really good.
Yes sir. "No fat, no flavor" is my motto. I have found Wagyu burgers at my local Wal Mart. THey are quite delicious!

My keys to success are don't overwork it, don't get too fancy with seasoning, and make the patties much bigger knowing they will shrink.

Nothing leaner than 80/20 for burgers.

I take the meat out of the pack and form the patties with as little touching as possible. Some people mix stuff in, roll it into a ball first and this or that but that just changes the texture too much for me. I just grab a chunk of meat, gently press it to my desired thickness and shape the edges a bit. Like my girls in the old days "the looser the better!":p
A gentle 'thumb print' in the middle helps limit shrinkage.

Generously season with Kosher salt and coarse pepper on each side, that's all you need. If you want, a few dashes of your favorite season-all helps give a little added spice (Pappy's in this house...our families go way back).

Get the grill as hot as you can, and plop 'em down....let them cook until the up-side is browning at the edges, then flip....once only.
After flipping it doesn't take long for them to be done. Last thing you want is an overcooked burger.

Hey I think we might have burgers tonight...!

"Reverse searing" is the new buzzword for cooking something at a lower temp for awhile, and then hitting it with a high heat right at the end to get the color and char you're after.
For some things it defeats the purpose IMO....you typically sear something at the beginning to cook the outer surface a bit and help lock in more moisture.

My wife will add things to help the flavor, such as -
Freeze a stick of salted butter and then grate it over the burgers before you put on the grill.
We use 75% meat and 25% fat, but if you want slightly healthier you can go 80/20.
My wife mixes Worcestershire into her hamburger mix before making it into patties for a different flavor.
Finally we typically would add in garlic salt/powder and onion powder.
Don't put your salt on until right when the burgers are going on the grill, it helps. We use Lawry's seasoned salt for more flavor.

I will throw some grated sharp cheddar cheese on right before taking them off grill.
I also will take the hamburger buns, open them up, and place them face down on the grill to toast them slightly.

You got me wanting to grill now! HAHA! Too bad it's raining here today.
Ryan

I'm going to print this out.
Some things stick to my memory like glue, other things just don't stick at all.
Thanks to all!

My dad beats a couple of raw eggs and mashes it up in 80/20 ground beef. It adds a bit of body. Sometimes he also adds some crumbled saltine crackers to it when forming the patties, but to me that makes them fall apart too easily.

Cooking trick - he uses one of those foldable square mesh bbq baskets with the handle on them like you might use for fish. It keeps the burgers intact and makes turning them over much easier than with a spatula.
1709323364769.png

Salt and pepper seasoning, good quality buns. Don't be lazy on the toppings. Onion rings, unchopped lettuce, juicy tomatoes, mayo, ketchup, bbq sauce. It all adds up. Yes, and also lightly toast the buns on the grill makes a big difference.

I do have to apologize in case this is too dang boring of a topic.
In short, since retirement, I've taken on more of the household duties and lessened the load on the wife since she is still working.

I love hamburgers but for some reason, no matter how I season or cook mine, they lack the flavor of the ones we have had at sit down and fast food restaurants.
The meat tastes bland. I've tried different types of meat with "lean" count between 7% to 15%, I've salted, peppered, seasoned mixes and still the meat tastes bland.
I have taken to a quickie pan toasting of the buns to give them a bit of charred flavor like we did at Burger King, my first payroll job as a kid.
The problem though is the meat.....What am I missing?
The father in law has sometimes smeared mustard on his steaks when he has them on the bar-b-que. Have you tried that?
I've been to decent restaurants and been really impressed with their burgers and left wondering what the heck I'm doing wrong.
Suggestions?

Stop buying lean meat, you can't make a good burger with lean meat.. 80/20 is the leanest i would go.. Fat is where flavor is.. That's why pork steaks are soo much better than horrible pork chops too....
1709324292608.jpeg

20% fat, or 15% fat maximum. Don't be too rigid, buy on price point and quality. 10% fat will make them dry.
Shop different markets, ask the meat counter where their beef comes from. They should be able to tell you. DO NOT BUY WALMART MEAT.
You live in CA. Dairy farm practices in CA on what they feed the cows would make you cry. Look for out of state beef if you can get it, prefferably ranch raised or midwest. Beware the colorado/wyoming feedlot beef, it might be worse then CA dairy cow beef. YES, what they eat is 100% critical to how it tastes. midwest they get hay, alfalfa and timothy grass, supplemented with corn(silage) ground corn and maybe a bit of soybean meal. Mostly hay, the other stuff costs more :)

As for preparing,
It is important not to overhandle the patty. You want to scoop up the right amount, smooth it out flat and that's it. If you compress it you will get a poor result, it will be too firm by the time you cook it. There is such a thing as a "tender" burger vs otherwise.
Try to base thickness around how well done you like it. If you like it well done, make it thinner. If you want it to MOO when you take a bite, make it like over an inch thick. Make the burger size(diameter) bigger then the bun you will use by at least 10%.
Alternatively, I learned a trick from "Simply Ming" where he used is thumb to depress the center of his patty to make it thinner in the center. This is a way to make a thicker burger more to the well done side without having to dry it out. Not applicable to rare.

Do not salt until it is being cooked. Some spices like black pepper or garlic can go right away. Anything with salt in it, season salt, etc. do not apply until it hits the grill. For sure not into a "mix" before you make a patty!
On the subject of mix, I am not a fan. However, if you like onion or green pepper with anything hamburger you might consider adding that to the mix. Just remember, kneading it together is also additional handling. I prefer to put onion on after it is cooked, or cook the onions seperate if you like them browned. A kabob stick with layers of raw onion brushed heavily with soy sauce and then grilled until the edges char is perfect to top a burger, IMO.

Seasoning: black pepper to taste, salt(late in the cooking) garlic(powder is better then salt, or mix in fresh if you go that route)
If you want something more fancy, the "montreal steak" season tends to go well depending on what you top with. Old school Lawry's will certainly add flavor, but tends to be a bit too salty. In WI we can get "Mad Dog and Merril" brand of stuff, they are basically famous Packer's tailgaters that have been on their own grilling cookout show for 30 years now.

Gramma Hazel is very good, it is their top seller. I like the up nort pepper as well, but the wife says it is a bit spicy(red pepper flake, but not much in it)
All of their stuff is more spice and less salt then mega brands are.

Do you use ketchup? BOO. The corn syrup and salt in it will ruin your burger. you will note non-fast food places do not put it on theirs, they give it to you if you want to use it.

As for cooking, charcoal is always better then gas. Wood is best. I would pick stove top or a dang George Forman grill over a gas grill, and I had a gas grill for 8 years. Never again.

My personal favorite is a 7/8" thick burger, cooked to not quite medium. I use gramma hazel, and some black pepper. The wife prefers 1/2" thick(pushing well done) with the grill magic(less salt lawry's basically). She loads her burger up with veggies, pickles, a drip of mustard and a dot of BBQ, and a blob of Mayo.
I am particular to melting some blue cheese on them, additional black pepper on top of the blue cheese as it melts, and then either a bourbon BBQ or mild steak sauce(not A1) and either the kabob onions or some onion straws(deep fried battered onion strings, if I have them) and not much else. I do like a loaded up burger too, but usually with just a dap of mustard.
This is WI, there is no such thing as a burger without cheese. I like blue, or 5 year aged cheddar. I have had smoked gouda with a tangy BBQ and an onion ring before. Wife prefers mild cheddar. Do NOT put that kraft singles BS/velveeta on there.

20% fat, or 15% fat maximum. Don't be too rigid, buy on price point and quality. 10% fat will make them dry.
Shop different markets, ask the meat counter where their beef comes from. They should be able to tell you. DO NOT BUY WALMART MEAT.
I get walmart meat but it's premade patties by someone else.. "Angus" 6 1/3 pound patties for $10... probably some dog or horse in there.. but tastes good :)

Growing up we had a diner on 8mile that was there from 1957 til 2014... best burgers i have ever had... cheap meat, cheap cheese... steamed buns, i would kill for some of them again :)
1709324922888.jpeg

Stop buying lean meat, you can't make a good burger with lean meat.. 80/20 is the leanest i would go.. Fat is where flavor is.. That's why pork steaks are soo much better than horrible pork chops too....
View attachment 1618900
I reverse sear my Iowa chops as well. THey re 1" thick with a little ring of fat around the edge. I sprinkle them with a little mango seasoning. I smoke them to about 140° and sear them. Let them sit and enjoy.

chops 84.17.23.jpg

One raw egg and a envelope of Lipton Onion Soup mix to each pound of Ground Beef. Patty em up and cook.

I switched from chops to pork steaks years ago.. never going back :) I use a mustard sauce that takes a few seconds to make is awesome (did that to get away from sugar in bbq sauces)

Auto Transport Service
Back