• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurst Mopar Ram Rod 4 Shifter

Sam69sat

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with these shifters? I believe they're from the 60 or early 70's. They seems to very expensive and possibly rare? I've seen one on ebay listed for around $1200 with orignal box and linkage. Others are listed other places for $500,600,700 etc without all the linkage. Are these really worth hundreds of dollars or are these sellers just dreaming?

s-l1600.jpg

Found this on A bodies. Ronny Sox didn't miss third with a stock shifter

Those work great, but unfortunately the tunnel has to be cut to allow the setback bracket.
I have one and went back to stock because so much heat came through the hole, there's no "appealing" way to seal around it and we're just car show guy's, not drag racer's:)

there's no "appealing" way to seal around

Well that's just not true !!

Back when those were available, HURST made these "consoles" which fit very nicely over the hole, and the shifter. They came with a pattern to fit B-Body floors. Back in the early '70's these were around $50. - which was a lot of money for what they are - vacuum formed ABS. I still have a few up in my attic. Don't ask, they're not for sale.

FIL2095 (2016_11_22 02_37_15 UTC).JPG FIL5548 (2016_11_22 02_37_15 UTC).JPG

Back to the original post, I had one of those back in the day and while there will be those who disagree, its not a "street friendly" shifter since downshifting requires pulling up the small black handle. And since you're already reaching when the shifter is in 3rd, pulling that thing up to go into second is, well, awkward. I sold mine years ago in favor of the super shifter - which has a very tight H pattern and a reverse lockout. If you're building a dedicated drag car then you might want one of these but there are better choices for "street" shifters.

Known of 2 cars. A buddy's 70 RoadRunner and my Brother had a 69 396 Camaro.
yes it was the 70's. Fun cars to drive.

I have a Verti-gate (Mr. Gasket) that I installed in my 71 Roadrunner back in the day. Pure street fun. It takes some coordination but fun. I refurbished it and should sell it but the sentiment is there. They are going for a few C notes.

My dad bought one brand new for his new 73 challenger back in his era.
I now run that shifter in my 67 dart.
Here are some photos i took when i last had the box out
p_00081.jpg
p_00080.jpg
p_00079.jpg

I ran a Ram Rod in a big block Satellite until last year. It makes the 1-2 really fun which is what I liked. The only reason I took it out was because the car had to be aligned and I thought the alignment shop wouldn’t be able to figure it out.

As far as value, I think most of the eBay guys are dreaming. I paid $150 to $200 for the ones I have, both within the last 10 years. They’ll both be back in cars soon.

I had bought one to use with a Pro-Shifted 18 spline trans.

I just couldn’t bring myself to cutting up my completely rust free floor.

I just couldn’t bring myself to cutting up my completely rust free floor.

Well actually, the floor required NO cutting. The only cutting that was/is necessary for that shifter in a B-body was a wide slot in the back of the shifter hump. The "L" shaped bracket for the shifter went in the original shifter hole and moved the shifter mech back something like 6 or 8 inches and up 4 or 6 inches. The hump then needed a slot wide enough for all the rods to pass through. NO holes in the floor.

Drove a car years ago equipped with one of these... definitely not street friendly IMO... kinda cool to drive around for a bit but would NEVER install one on my cars. my $0.02

Auto Transport Service
Back