• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurst Pistol Handle

Ritchie Valens

Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner with Hurst Pistol Grip with center console. I've had it for about 1.5 years. Does anyone know why the metal handle hits the chrome trim of the center console when the shifter goes into 2nd and 4th gear? It's been happening since I've had the car and it's annoying as hell. It doesn't appear to affect driving ability and it doesn't grind the gears. I've included photos in 2nd gear and 4th gear. Thank you for you help.

~Ritchie Valens

Hurst1.jpeg

Hurst2.jpeg

The adjustment is out on the lever.......or you have the wrong adapter plate on the gearbox.

Also, a Previous Owner might have installed the console in the wrong place - if it was ever not there previously.

The adjustment is out on the lever.......or you have the wrong adapter plate on the gearbox.

Also, a Previous Owner might have installed the console in the wrong place - if it was ever not there previously.
I was hoping this was a typical issue with a quick fix. I'm guessing I'll have to pull the shift boot up to get a better look at the adapter plate. I'm really hoping the center console wasn't misplaced.

I was hoping this was a typical issue with a quick fix. I'm guessing I'll have to pull the shift boot up to get a better look at the adapter plate. I'm really hoping the center console wasn't misplaced.
The shifter adapter plates have differing angles of inclination - meaning if the wrong one is used, the throw of the shifter (Pistol grip in this case) appears to be wrong - too far forward or too far backwards.

The shift lever should sit roughly in the middle of the console opening at rest in Neutral.

My 70 has the opposite problem in 1st/3rd. It can be a sloppy shifter linkage...but there is enough play in the console & lid attachment points you can scoot the console back a 1/2" without too much trouble. Check the other stuff mentioned above first though

There's adjustable stop bolts in the shifter mechanism. With the shifter and trans in neutral, you have to align the levers in the mechanism with a 1/4" drill bit or similar, align the levers on the trans, then set the stop bolts to prevent over-travel of the shift handle.

My factory console mount brackets have slots in them allowing you to adjust the console position.
Give that a try.

There's adjustable stop bolts in the shifter mechanism. With the shifter and trans in neutral, you have to align the levers in the mechanism with a 1/4" drill bit or similar, align the levers on the trans, then set the stop bolts to prevent over-travel of the shift handle.
Stop bolts are all very well.....but I think the issue here is the range of movement between all gears is concentrated towards the rear of the console opening.

Could be, but
Stop bolts are all very well.....but I think the issue here is the range of movement between all gears is concentrated towards the rear of the console opening.
I'd fixed that same exact condition a couple of times a billion years ago. On a Competition Plus mechanism, there's stop bolts for the 2-4 (this condition) and the 1-3. And you could check the console mount like Steve ^ mentioned.

Did someone modify, or shorten the shifter??
Seems a bit stumpy

Hahaha, sometimes I have bad thoughts like this... but then I remember what happens to Wile E. Coyote every time he uses a saw... I would end up with my car falling through the center console!! Hahah
... while you're still holding the shifter !!! .... :lol:

Did someone modify, or shorten the shifter??
Seems a bit stumpy
Not that I know... but, I did pull the rubber boot up a little hoping the rubber would hit the center console instead of the metal handle. I haven't pulled it back down into place and that's probably why it looks shorten

Auto Transport Service
Back