• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hurst shifters-school me please

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
so I have a 70 Bee 4spd pistol grip-1970 is the slip in handle. So I want to change to 68/69 hurst shifter because mine needs rebuilding and I dont want a slip in,I perfer the 2 bolts. I emailed these guys hurstshiftersonline.com and asked them about it. ScoTTy told me all 68-70 were slip in. Funny my 69 rt charger was 2 bolts. What is he talking about??? This is their reply---- Good day, the 1970 factory used a Pistol grip handle, the mechanism is totally different levers (much longer levers coming out the bottom of the shifter, than a 1968-1969 using a round bar handle-
The mechanism are built totally different and the 1968-1969 mechanism is not for a 1970 with Pistol grip Handle, as is the 1970 not proper for a 1968-1969
All 3 years used a slip in handle-

-Scotty
Is he saying no 68/69 came with a pistol grip

I don’t know which year used what. I do know my 70 has a pistol grip with the 2 bolts and Hurst shifter mechanism.

First year for the pistol grip was 1970 and it was a "slip in" attachment to the shifter body. They switched to bolt-in style in 1971.

70 is a slip in only,no bolts

Mine is not original, just saying you can get bolt in style for a 70 if you want. They make them new that way.

So you would have to buy a new pistol grip handle with 2 holes for this.
I would suggest calling Brewers and ask those guys.....I dont think so...You would have to drill the 2 holes........

When I contacted Hurst for factory dragcar info.....Scotty had more info/history about Hurst shifters, than I'd ever believed was possible. I wouldn't dispute his knowledge or experience about anything HURST shifters. The details he knows from memory are staggering.

When I contacted Hurst for factory dragcar info.....Scotty had more info/history about Hurst shifters, than I'd ever believed was possible. I wouldn't dispute his knowledge or experience about anything HURST shifters. The details he knows from memory are staggering.
I have dealt with Scotty for years.......He has restored all of my hurst units......I wouldn't consider anyone else.....

68/69 was always bolt on,70 only slip in. I know this for a fact. Will call him to see what he says.

I guess mine is wrong then Dave... I carried a 10 thou shim to disengage, through my ripped boot, and part way through the night would scare the **** out of my buddies when I was 19/20 by handing them the stick after I threw it into 4th gear.

68/69 was always bolt on,70 only slip in. I know this for a fact. Will call him to see what he says.
Thats not correct.......69-70 was slip in...71 up was bolt on.....68 was the inland shifter and was a completely different unit.....

Do you want to see the original hurst unit from my all original GTX with 66k documented miles before its restoration?

Unmolested unit from my GTX........Last picture is Scotty's restoration work.....

hurst1.jpg
hurst2.jpg
hurst3.jpg
hurst4.jpg
hurst6.jpg
hurst7.jpg
hurst8.jpg
hurst9.jpg

Guess Im wrong your telling me 69-70 were slip in handles never bolt in correct.

Some more restored pics.....The red sticker was applied to every unit when delivered to the factory. So the center pin stayed in place during shipment. Was supposed to the torn off during assembly but to save time the line workers just slammed the bolt through it. Through the years remnants were found on low mileage cars including the X...So I did the same...

Hurst11.jpg
Hurst12.jpg
hurst10.jpg

so Scotty was wrong when he said -all 3 years are slip in?

NO.. Scotty was correct... 68, 69, 70 all OE slip in AFAIK. Justin mentioned Inlands for '68, never got to play with those.

so Scotty was wrong when he said -all 3 years are slip in?
Does 68 even matter?......The common one used in 68(console) was the inland style and the other was the hurst slip in version....

So no he was not wrong.......

Auto Transport Service
Back