• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydraulic Engine Lifters

Ronald Weishaar

Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
Is there a difference in Hydraulic lifters between Big blocks and Small Blocks? I ask because Napa calls for the same lifter for 440 and 318's and a different number for a 383. Please explain Ron

Not sure about BB vs SB but I thought they were the same. But 440 vs 383 - they are definitely interchangeable so should be the same unless one is a special anti-pump up hi-po lifter or different supplier, etc

Is there a difference in Hydraulic lifters between Big blocks and Small Blocks? I ask because Napa calls for the same lifter for 440 and 318's and a different number for a 383. Please explain Ron
Ron the pre 68 383 used a different size lifter/pushrod combo.
You can not mix the two, that's why the parts suppliers just list 68 and up.
You can use the newer 68 and up sets in the older pre 68 blocks as long as you use both new push rods and new lifters.

From the factory, BB/SB came with different lifters.

MP lists different part numbers for BB/SB.

The generic Mopar/AMC lifter for 68 and later is the “2011”, which several brands list for both.

Apart from the 67 & earlier 350-383 having the smaller p'rod end at the lifter [ as per post #3 ], the BB lifters have the oil band higher up on the body compared to the SB. I have used both types interchangeably with no problems & some cam companies sell the same part # lifter for BB & SB.

Auto Transport Service
Back