• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydraulic Head noise

vaughnmcintire

Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
I have a 440 with hydraulic heads and it has some noise (like tapping lifters) toward the back on the passenger side. pulled out the back cylinder push rods and they are slightly bent. What are my options?

AYTE8942[1].JPG

You mean hydraulic tappets, not heads. The most likely guess is that you have a valve hitting piston issue. More detailed info is needed, but it could be that your timing chain has slipped a gear or two. That's assuming that the engine has the original plastic coated cam gear or if it was rebuilt and was put together wrong.

If you remove rocker arm shaft make sure you know what side of shaft your looking at. the shaft can be put in upside down.

You mean hydraulic tappets, not heads. The most likely guess is that you have a valve hitting piston issue. More detailed info is needed, but it could be that your timing chain has slipped a gear or two. That's assuming that the engine has the original plastic coated cam gear or if it was rebuilt and was put together wrong.
The tapping just started. Can the timing chain jump? It was rebuilt when I got it. Maybe put together wrong, why when we put it on a timing light it seemed off? And did have a backfire one of the last few times I drove it.

The tapping just started. Can the timing chain jump? It was rebuilt when I got it. Maybe put together wrong, why when we put it on a timing light it seemed off? And did have a backfire one of the last few times I drove it.

More details need to be given about this engine's rebuild if you know any.

Should've had you download a service manual first:BangHead:. If you download a SM and you print pages as you need them. Scroll down to 1970 Plymouth service manual and download it. If have an ipad that helps, working with a phone is small.
Service Manuals – MyMopar

Should've had you download a service manual first:BangHead:. If you download a SM and you print pages as you need them. Scroll down to 1970 Plymouth service manual and download it. If have an ipad that helps, working with a phone is small.
Service Manuals – MyMopar
I don't know how many times I have suggested to these newbees here to us a FSM for their rides. I seems to fall on deaf ears. Why??? I haven't an answer but my logic is that they eant to have everything done by not having one so they rely upon those of us that do and have knowledge from our experiences. The FSM is one of the first things one should procure when the get into this hobby and get their rides. Lead them to H2O but will they drink??? Obviously NOT!!! cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

I wonder what's been done to the engine, is it stock or org. ?

just spitballing here
Or --- any number of things
or collapsed lifters, allowing the push-rod to move or get in a bind
or it was over-revved (chances are)
or over-pumped lifters, usually comes with valve float, takes away the clearance
or broken valve springs could cause it too
or worn-out rockers & worn-out pushrods,
not enough pre-load on that cylinder, bad lifters, bad parts
(would do the same thing in a different way)

or carbon buildup/stiction & sticky 'burned on' residue on the inside of the valve guides
(often from 'not the proper oil, used for the climate &/or proper maintenance routine
&/or getting it really hot, shutting it down & the stuff cakes on)

any or all could have made the associated valves stick
or float or lifters over pump or not pumping up enough at one time
or just worn-out stuff

My point is, lots of reasons 'it could be'

Auto Transport Service
Back